grma24luvs

how do I make a triangle

Post by grma24luvs »

How do I make a triangle and weld it to a rectangle. thanks
virginia
wreed06

Re: how do I make a triangle

Post by wreed06 »

You can use the shapes in SCAL - add a triangle to the mat and add a rectangle to the mat, size them however you want them and over lap them slightly. Click on one shape and in the Properties window, check the Weld checkbox, then do the same thing for the rectangle. Click on the magnifying glass icon to view what the cut will look like (outlined in red). You should see the two shapes welded together. When satisfied with he sizes and placement, cut.

HTH
grma24luvs

Post by grma24luvs »

You are so great to answer and so promptly, now if I had just thought of staying online, I thought everyone would be sleeping and I ,,,,,,,struggled working with inkscape....... :oops: Id did manage to make a word page in inkscapte, then I saved as a .svg file, but, when i import into scal, all i get is a rectangle, my letters that I welded didn't come thru. what am i doing wrong.........
i've been at this for hours.
but, now I will work on scal, thanks again., just wondered if all my hard work was for naught.
grma24luvs
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

I'm sure you can do what you want in Inkscape, I just don't know how to create things in Inkscape very well. I know there is a triangle and a couple of rectangles in the shapes in SCAL and they are easy to use. I just used them to make arrows to tape on lamp posts for directions to a yard sale. It was fresh on my mind.
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

grma24luvs wrote:You are so great to answer and so promptly, now if I had just thought of staying online, I thought everyone would be sleeping and I ,,,,,,,struggled working with inkscape....... :oops: Id did manage to make a word page in inkscapte, then I saved as a .svg file, but, when i import into scal, all i get is a rectangle, my letters that I welded didn't come thru. what am i doing wrong.........
i've been at this for hours.
but, now I will work on scal, thanks again., just wondered if all my hard work was for naught.
grma24luvs

Before you can import words from INK into SCAL, you have to Path>Object to Path. This command changes the font to an vector object. You will no longer be able to work with it as letter because it is now a vector shape with nodes so you should do all you need to do before applying the command.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
grma24luvs

Post by grma24luvs »

Annointed,
thank you for answering....but:
I opened inkscape. the font used is installed in my pc.
I drew the rectangle and path to object path to union and I could see they did union
saved the file as a svg.
opened scal
can only import file (didn't save as project, is that my problem?)I'll go back and check
so I import and found my folder
the icons showing are the little inkscape logo but they are svg files
now after your response
opened inkscape did path>object to path. saved
opened scal import svg file (my font opened) showed up in scal (i don't know if this has to be done..but will try all at this point...lol.)
found my file import svg
and only a rectange shows.....blank......

help
Virginia
Attachments
A B 1st page .svg
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
grma24luvs

Post by grma24luvs »

oops it didn't download.

will try again. yikes, I browse, open file but it does not dl what am I doing wrong here! sorry I am such a newbie .... :oops:
virginia
maybe it did go thru!
Attachments
A B 1st page .svg
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

I dl the file and opened it in INK. You have the objected Grouped and SCAL doesn't like grouped shapes. I had to click on Object>Ungroup several times untile the status bar shows Path. Saved it and it still didn't show so I went back to the shape in INK, selected it, Edit>Copy, opened a new page and pasted the shape on the page and save it...worked perfectly.

Don't have any idea why it didn't work the first time (probably still had some code on the page that SCAL couldn't read). It is a good idea that when you have tried everything, select, copy, new page and paste.

You don't have to close the file in INK when you try to open in SCAL. If you don't close it, you have it right there so you can make adjustments.

HTH
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
grma24luvs

Post by grma24luvs »

thanks Annointed hands, you have helped me in the past as well, thanks again.Just noticed I had an answer.
Virginia