Combining SVG's into one file

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
WendySue

Combining SVG's into one file

Post by WendySue »

I am just starting with Inkscape. I know how to create layers and place items on different layers. The problem I have is that some of the cut files (SVG's) I have are in seperate files. I want to combine these into one file with layers for the individual colors. When I open the layers folder, there are none listed. It says on the bottom that the object is on the root and not on a layer. How do I get the initial object from the root to a layer? :?
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Re: Combining SVG's into one file

Post by sstehman »

I think this is what you want to know. After you import your SVG's, make sure to ungroup them if necessary -- then go to path - break apart. Then pull off the pieces. Since you know how to do layers, then you can put each piece on its own layer.

Think this is what you want to know.
Sandy in PA
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're saying 100%, but if you're talking about importing other designer's designs that have separate files for each color or element, you have to import each one separately. Each time you add something, Scal will create a separate layer for it. You can view them by clicking on window, then layer. You will see all the designs(files) with different colors and eye next to them. There's also a dot there. You can click on that to lock or unlock the layers. You can then save the project and all the pieces will be there the next time you open it.

What I usually do is open one of the svgs if there are multiple files and drag and drop the others into that one file and rename it. Then when I import to scal, I ungroup them there. Once again if you look at the layers window, you'll see that scal has assigned them each a different layer and you can hide, lock, etc. I'm really not that knowledgeable when it comes to scal, so if I missed something or gave you some incorrect info, I hope someone will come along and correct me. HTH

Here's a video that might help with layers.

http://svgcuts.com/blog/2009/02/22/vide ... uts-a-lot/
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
WendySue

Post by WendySue »

Thanks for the assistance. I think with your help I have figured it out. :D