SnC CM650W not cutting dimensions as shown in details

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
lseyfert

SnC CM650W not cutting dimensions as shown in details

Post by lseyfert »

Unsure if SCAL5Pro issue or SnC CM650W issue: I have a SnC2 CM650W and have SCAL5Pro. I purchased layered shadowbox design which came as an SVG file. I used SCAL5Pro to import SVGs, convert to FCM files & export files to USB for the SnC even tho it will accept an SVG. However, the SnC cut the layers 1/4" or so shorter than stated dimensions. The layers' width were correct but height varied; one layer not even square. The SnC showed design info as the correct dimensions. Checked again w/SCAL & it also showed the correct dimensions. Even imported into SnC orig SVG file; re-calibrated SnC, updated to most recent update. Still would not cut to correct dimensions. Tried putting together anyway but ended up trashing it to start over. Remembered I still had my SnC CM550, got it out. Used same USB stick with the same files. So after 2 days & 20 sheets of cardstock it cut out all 7 layers in correct dimensions and it went together great. Why would the SnC650 not cut files correctly but the SnC CM550 cut it correctly using the same USB & same FCM files? Haven't had the problem really before. Haven't cut anything new on SnC650 since I got this done (temp burnout). Any ideas? This was very frustrating.

Someone said to be sure to set preferences SVG @ 96dpi. If I have converted to FCM and exported it & loaded to SnC as an FCM file would that make any difference? I haven't ever really changed those settings since I purchased SCAL4 years ago then SCAL5Pro last year. Is there something else I hv missed?

Thanks for any ideas.
Attachments
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
SandyMcC

Re: SnC CM650W not cutting dimensions as shown in details

Post by SandyMcC »

If the exact same FCM file cuts one size on your 550 and another size on your 650, I consider this to be an issue for Brother to address. Just to clarify, are you saying that if you kept the file as SVG, the same thing doesn't happen?

A more basic test might be to create a rectangle in SCAL5 that's the exact same outside dimensions as whatever this project had and then test that on both of your cutters to see if you get the same result again. Then report that to Brother. Also, I'd be very curious to know, myself, so please do share whatever you find out as this could help other Scan N Cut owners and there are dozens of them posting for help on Facebook every day. Thanks!
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
lseyfert

Post by lseyfert »

I had posted inquiry on the Brother ScanNCut Users Facebook page as well seeking any answers. One gentleman indicated that I needed to "Export at 96 DPI." So went back into SCAL5Pro, imported two of the original SVG files, then went to Edit>Preferences>General tab and set SVG PDI to 96 Corel Draw then exported my 2 test pages to FCM and saved to USB. Used the SnC DM650W again and loaded the designs to cut. This time they both cut out with correct dimensions; compared it to first cut outs I had saved for reference. SCAL5 default is 72 Adobe Illustrator so I have to make sure to check that from now on. I have never changed that setting since buying SCAL4 in 2015 or SCAL5Pro in 2018 and this is my first time I've had real problem...that I recognized. Looked over the SCAL manual where it seemed to indicate that this setting depends upon which program creates the SVG and which program you were going to import the SVG into. Soooo, I am supposing this means I should export all my designs at 96 PDI?? Since never had a problem before I don't know if everyone else using AI but this design bought from 3DCuts was maybe created using CorelDraw? Think I may ask her...she was as confused at my problem as I was. Does this make sense, Sandy?
lseyfert

Post by lseyfert »

My prev response is not posted yet. I contacted Marji at 3DCuts and she said she uses AI and uses defaults for saving a normal SVG. 72 PDI AI is the default for SCAL5. A response from my Brother SnC Users FB inquiry indicated that I needed to export my files with setting at 96 PDI Corel Draw. Once I put one of the orig SVG files into SCAL5Pro, changed the PDI setting & exported it as FCM file to my USB then went back to my SnC CM650W, loaded the file & cut it out again, it cut it at the correct dimensions. Without making this PDI change it had cut the design layer correctly on my CM550. So I am still questioning what is the difference in the CM550 (bot 11/2013) and the CM650 (bot 3/2017). I will fu with Brother.

I have another 3DCuts layered design I want to use for a few Christmas gifts. I am going to use it to test this out again. If it is consistent that the default SCAL settings do not cut out correctly on my SnC CM650 then I think it is the software on the SnC. I have cut many other designs on my SnC CM650 w/o having this issue so it is confusing.

Laurie
Attachments
Marji AI settings.jpg
Marji AI settings.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
lseyfert

Post by lseyfert »

Forgot to answer your question. Yes, I even just loaded & cut one of the downloaded SVG files and the design still was not quite the height it was supposed to be. If it had worked I would have just recut all the files using the SVG files since CM650W will accept them. Again, it was confusing.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Yes and no.

The Edit>Preferences setting for DPI is for any SVG files coming INTO SCAL... not leaving SCAL. So, for example, in "Program X", I just created a 1" square and exported it as SVG. In this particular program, I don't have the option to set a particular DPI like I can in SCAL. Now since I don't have any idea what the DPI might be for this Program "X", I have to just test it as different settings under Edit>Preferences to find out what DPI should be used. Here's a screenshot of what I discovered when trying each one:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (15.37 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
So, whenever I create an SVG using "Program X", then I know that in SCAL I'll need to have the DPI set to 90 in order to match the size OR I'll have to just resize it in SCAL to what it should be.

But "Program Y" could be different. I might need to set it to 72 or maybe to 96. I really don't know until I test it OR someone who actually knows what they're talking about posts it on Facebook. lolol

My point is that the setting under Edit>Preferences ONLY applies to SVG files you're importing... not saving for Scan N Cut.

So, my confusion with what you posted was that you have an FCM file that apparently is CUTTING at two different sizes depending on which SNC model you use. This is what I'd like to see you test because it would have nothing to do with what you imported into SCAL or exported from SCAL, as long as it is the EXACT same file you're opening and cutting on two different models of SNC.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/