Creating an outline

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
AuntBeepBeep

Creating an outline

Post by AuntBeepBeep »

I would like to take the following car picture and make an outline of the car using Inkscape so that it looks like the second picture. Can anyone help explain to me how to do this?
Thanks!

There is no finish line.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: Creating an outline

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I used the pen in insckape to trace the outline.. Is this what you wanted??
pastda3

Re: Creating an outline

Post by pastda3 »

Jo-anne. You always seem to beat me to the punch. :) I'm going to go ahead and post this anyway since I went through the process. I had to leave my beloved computer for a bit. :lol:

Aunt Beepbeep. This is how I did it in Inkscape, but I'm sure there's a much easier way. I couldn't get a good trace, so I used the pen tool to draw around the image. Click on the node option on the left hand side. Go around and manipulate the nodes so the outline looks cleaner. Click on the arrow above the node option and click on the image. I then like to fill the image with color. I always like to make a duplicate and put to the side just in case I need it.

View in outline. Select the image then Go to path > linked offset. Pull up on the little diamond until you get the outline you want. Then pull and drag the mouse around the image and go to path > exclusion. Now you should have an outline.

To cut away the bottom of the image, draw a rectangle around the area that you don't want then click on the arrow. Select the rectangle and car outline (you can either pull and drag around both or hold down the shift key and click on the rectangle and car image then then path > division. Click off to the side. You'll be able to pull away the area you don't want. I'm not very good at explaining, so I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

I have no idea how one would or could do this in SCAL. As much as I love SCAL, I do almost everything in Ink.
car_outline_rs.jpg
car_outline_rs.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Attachments
car_outline_rs.svg
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***