Border Thickness (newbie)

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
JanetL

Border Thickness (newbie)

Post by JanetL »

I am not able to figure out how to increase the thickness of a border. I am attempting to make a Tile surrounded by two borders. I want one of the borders to be thicker than the other one and I am not able to figure out how to increase the thickness between the two borders.
gj1

Re: Border Thickness (newbie)

Post by gj1 »

It is always easiest to help if we can see a picture of what you are working with. If the borders are made of rectangles or squares in SCAL, you would click on the frame border and stretch with the lower right corner to the size you want. On the properties box you can uncheck the "Keep Proportions" box and use side arrows also.

If the borders are images from saved file...you may need to go to the top of SCAL to OBJECT, Ungroup, and Break Apart.
Using these will let you adjust the inside of each border and outside. For this you will probably want to check the box for "Keep Proportions".

Hope this helps some.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Also what you can do is click the outer frame and hit path/outset if using inkscape..
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

You need 2 shapes to make 1 border. 1 is the inside and 1 is the outside. IN SCAL, make your first shape, then copy it, then paste in place (from the Edit menu). Now select shadow from the appearance box to change one of the shapes to make it larger. Change the numerical value until the "border" (distance between 2 shapes) is the width you want it.
JanetL

Post by JanetL »

Thanks everyone I get it I will try to figure it out. For the person who asked me to post a picture I haven't gotten that far on the navigation of the message boards. :) I know how to read and how to post a question just haven't figured out the next step. Sure it is easy just on a time crunch at the moment. If I figure it out I will post the picture of the project I got from the SmartBuyGal forum.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Is this what you are asking for???
JanetL

Post by JanetL »

Ok I didn't make my deadline to finish this tile project for my in-laws 50th anniversary dinner. I ran into a problem that I continue to have with SCAL2 ever since I downloaded the program.

Last time it was a project that Kathy from the SmartbuyGal forum had to develop for me because every time I tried to do anything with the design in SCAL2 I would get an error message and the program would shut down automatically.

I tried to design a project from an idea from the message board and again the same problem I had before started all over again. It just keeps shutting down on me. I am fine designing but when I tried to cut I realized that the circle flourish in the design did not cut it. I am sure I made a mistake in the "path" or the "union" but when I attempted to go back into the project and move the circle flourish to a different page and it kept shutting down.

I am really starting to wonder if I purchased the wrong program. It doesn't matter how many times I go to the website and download the upgrades it still is doing the same thing.

I am using a netbook computer and I upgraded the SCAL2 version to the 2.038

And I am running Windows XP version 5.1 service pack 3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I decided to upload the file the first attempt stated that my file size was too large. I then zipped it and attached it I hope it worked. If it did then this is my first success at attaching a file and it's pretty easy. I am not finished with the design there are several aspects that I don't like but can't get anwwhere if the program continues to shut down.

Thanks everyone.

Ooops guess my first attempt wasn't successful Here is the attached file !!!
Attachments
Anniversary tile.zip
(92.28 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Last edited by JanetL on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JanetL

Post by JanetL »

I was attempting to recreate this design. Marycontrary developed this original design and I was attempting to re-create my own version....

Unforutately I ran into more complicated issues and I haven't even tried fixing the borders using suggestions from the members here.

When the program started shutting down I gave up and walked away before I threw the computer out the door :x
Attachments
This picture is from Marycontrary from the SmartbuyGal Forum It's a beatuiful Tile
This picture is from Marycontrary from the SmartbuyGal Forum It's a beatuiful Tile
IMG_0017.jpg (9.32 KiB) Viewed 3294 times