Inkscape ? Size and Importing into SCAL

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
jynclr

Inkscape ? Size and Importing into SCAL

Post by jynclr »

Hello.

I am learning Inkscape and am reading the documentation, which is a great help. I have a question that maybe some of you folks could help enlighten me or give me some suggestions.

Here is my ultimate goal: I am creating a template from which I would like to cut vinyl. This vinyl will be used to cover electronic gadgets. As a result, the template needs to be precise in measurements.

Here is what I have done:

Inkscape
I have created my template in Inkscape. I have made the document page to be the size I need (8 inch x 5 inch), and have put whatever other inset cuts I need. I save it off as an SVG file. Now, in Inkscape, my measurements are correct.

SCAL
In SCAL I import the SVG file and I see the lines that will be cut.

Here is the problem I have
As I mentioned, this will be vinyl that will be covering electronic gadgets so the measurements need to be precise. The problem I am encountering is that when I import the SVG file into SCAL, the image is larger. The image on the mat shows close to 10 inch x 6 inch.

Now, I realize I can adjust the size of the image to the size I need, but this does not mean that the cut lines inside will stay proportional or still fit.

Last night I tried to do the template directly in SCAL, but trying to edit paths in SCAL is excruciating because moving one single node slows down the whole program. So I decided to do the template in Inkscape and import to SCAL. Now I am having this problem where the image is too large in SCAL when I import, even though it is the correct size and measurements in Inkscape.

Question
What do I need to do in Inkscape when I save the SVG file so that it comes in in the correct size in SCAL? Or! Do I need to do something in SCAL to import the SVG file in the correct size (without the need for adjustment)? Do you have any suggestions or tips on how to accomplish this?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Jayne
Sizzix eClips
eCal v1.002
Windows 7
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Re: Inkscape ? Size and Importing into SCAL

Post by DogCarbon »

This is an easy fix....

In SCAL2, click on edit, preferences and make sure 90 inscape is selected for SVG DPI

this will import your svg at the size you created them in ink.

Happy cutting! Vinyl is addicting. :D
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Also make sure in inkscape when you set your specific sizes that you close the lock up beside the image size boxes..
jynclr

Post by jynclr »

YES! YES!!! YES!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!! :D

This worked perfectly! I also made a sample cut. Not bad for my first try in making a template. Now to fix the template so it could be accurate, and on to making my own skins! wewt!

Again, THANK YOU!!!!!! :D :D :D
Sizzix eClips
eCal v1.002
Windows 7