How to use inkscape: link to tutorials

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
dlwrules

Re: How to use inkscape: link to tutorials

Post by dlwrules »

Ok, it is selected (box with dashes around it). But when I go to the view, then display mode, then outline as instructed in the tutorial the image disappears and I get a box with a big red x
Donna Lee

Saying THANKS to Todd for this amazing software and for this very helpful forum, and to all those who are sharing their time and talents here
dlwrules

Post by dlwrules »

btw - THANK YOU!!!!
Donna Lee

Saying THANKS to Todd for this amazing software and for this very helpful forum, and to all those who are sharing their time and talents here
jancy

Post by jancy »

dlwrules wrote:Ok, it is selected (box with dashes around it). But when I go to the view, then display mode, then outline as instructed in the tutorial the image disappears and I get a box with a big red x
continue as if you don't see the red X---the ballet slippers should appear when you finish up. I get that X in a newer version of inkscape. I'm sorry to say that I just don't know why it does that or how to change it. It may have something to do with the "toggle" option.

edited post: yep, it's the toggle option. click toggle under view: display mode. now you will see the image, but it won't be an outline. click outline--you'll still get the red X , but you'll delete that once you have your tracing.
dlwrules

Post by dlwrules »

I feel so stupid. How do I de-select the magnifying glass??????
Donna Lee

jancy

Post by jancy »

dlwrules wrote:I feel so stupid. How do I de-select the magnifying glass??????
click on the big arrow or another tool
dlwrules

Post by dlwrules »

Thanks. OK, so I've toggled, have the slipper in front of me.
Then I go to path>trace bitmap. The screen on the tutorial doesn't look like what I see. What do I do now?
Donna Lee

jancy

Post by jancy »

dlwrules wrote:Thanks. OK, so I've toggled, have the slipper in front of me.
Then I go to path>trace bitmap. The screen on the tutorial doesn't look like what I see. What do I do now?
it will look different because you're working with a newer version of inkscape. but the window that pops up is very similar--continue to follow the directions on the tutorial.

*go back & select outline instead of toggle*. with toggle selected, you will not get the outline. just delete the red X image. the one you have left will be the one that is traced.
dlwrules

Post by dlwrules »

Oh my goodness I think I finally have it!!
Thanks so much for your help!!!
Donna Lee

jancy

Post by jancy »

dlwrules wrote:Oh my goodness I think I finally have it!!
Thanks so much for your help!!!
you're very welcome.

I'll be online for a short while longer if you have any other questions.

if you do it again, start to finish, you'll see how easy it actually is :)

have fun!!
dlwrules

Post by dlwrules »

I Think I will find another graphic file to try.
Donna Lee