Inkscape jpg to svg - svg do not show up in SCAL?

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
Hannari
Location: South Africa, Scal 1 and 2, XP, Inkscape, Adobe Photoshop

Inkscape jpg to svg - svg do not show up in SCAL?

Post by Hannari »

I'm need help, please! I took a .jpg file and imported it to Inkscape. I've selected the image and trace bitmap. I've deleted the first image and saved the image as a .svg. If I import it into SCAL, there is no image to cut. What am I doing wrong?
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: Inkscape jpg to svg - svg do not show up in SCAL?

Post by Sweetness4713 »

If you look on the right hand side of your mat on SCAL where it says layer... is the eye opened or closed???? Make sure it's opened.
Hannari

Post by Hannari »

Hi Jo-anne, I still have SCAL 1 so I do not have an eye on my mat.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Make sure that you are deleting the image and not the trace. The message bar at the bottom of the Inkscape window will tell you what you have selected. HTH
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Here is my troubleshooting guide for blank svgs
A Guide to troubleshooting blank SVGs

in Inkscape
Check the Outline View by selecting View>Display mode>Outline
to see if it looks like what you want to cut

If the Outline View does not show as expected then...
If you imported a bitmap (jpg, png, bmp, gif, etc.) did you autotrace it?
If not, select it, then Path>Trace Bitmap
If you autotraced, did you delete the bitmap version, and not the vector version. (You will see a red x in outline mode if you accidently deleted the vector copy)
Did you convert text into objects?
If not, select text then Path>Object to Path

If the Outline View does show as expected
then
Have you ungrouped everything?
If not then select all then Object>Ungroup repeatedly until the message at bottom of screen says there are no objects to ungroup.
(You can use Path>Combine but SCAL doesn't like Grouping)
Are there any Clipped Paths? (green lines in outline view and the infobar will indicate clipped paths) if so select Object>Clip>Release

If none of that works then
-Double check that the file you imported was really an SVG. Check this (and prevent future occurences) by not selecting "All Files" in the file type menu of the Import dialog box.
-Make sure all objects are within the page boundaries. (Press 4 or View>Zoom>Drawing to check for stray objects or parts of the image that extend past the page boundaries.)
-Make sure that all shapes are converted to paths (select each shape, then Path>Object to Path)
-Make sure the image is made up of closed paths, Inkscape can not cut lines, per se.
-Resave the document as Plain SVG (as opposed to Inkscape SVG)
-Select all, then copy, then open a new document and paste.
-Select all then change the colors (click the color bar at the bottom of the screen).
Hannari

Post by Hannari »

I love using Inkscape, but there is so much I still need to learn! Thank you for all the help. You are so kind.
Have a great day!
Hannari
Hannari

Post by Hannari »

I've imported the image, changed the display mode to outline, trace bitmap, deleted the image with the red cross over it, object to path, clip release and saved the image as plain svg. It shows up in Inkscape now! Thank you soooooooo much!!!!!
AuntBeepBeep

Post by AuntBeepBeep »

I know this is an older thread, but I have to bump and give thanks to FirstCut (Kay) for such a great breakdown to help determine the problem. I have been working on a project for 2 hours now and have been using "search" for related issues when I came upon this thread and with the steps so clearly laid out, I was able to fix my issue within 5 minutes.
I would also like to give thanks to those who quickly convert files for folks, but mostly for those who take the time to explain how they did it, so that we all can learn. I know it takes time to type out steps clearly and easy to understand, but I appreciate those extra steps. It definitely helps me learn instead of just relying on someone else to do my work for me.
There is no finish line.
mikewozowski

Post by mikewozowski »

ok, i am having a similar problem so i just though i would post here.

i am trying to make something (simple example would be a word with a stroke around it).

i export s regular svg. when i import it, the "stroke part won't show up. so i must be missing a step.

help please!!!

: )

and thank you!
papasue

Post by papasue »

Mike, what version of scal are you using, since changing the color of a stroke line is different depending on the vs.

If you can/want to post the problem file someone will take a look. the SCAL file, not a jpg.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.