copies nodes, pastes image

General discussion about Inkscape
Evelyn

copies nodes, pastes image

Post by Evelyn »

I'm running mac os x.5.8 and Inkscape .47 pre3. With the previous version of Inkscape, I could copy the nodes from a PDF, paste them into a new document, and save as an svg. Now, when I copy the nodes, it pastes an image. The image is pixilated; it shows up as an X in outline mode; I can't change its color; and when I try to import it into SCAL, I get an empty box.

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong? I'm wondering if it's some kind of default setting, but I don't know where to begin. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Evelyn
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: copies nodes, pastes image

Post by Sweetness4713 »

If it's showing up with a red x in outline mode it may be because it's not converted... Did you do a trace bitmap first to convert it to svg???..
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I read if it is a pdf vector graphic it will already show up as converted if you open it in Inkscape. If it shows up with a red x it is not vector. (easy to see if you go to view and outline) I know there are lots of pdf files that are not vector. There is a webisite out there that has most of the older Cricut carts that provo craft did in PDF/vector format and all you have to do is take them apart and you have the most clean clear svg's out there. I have most of the carts but use the pdf's more often because they are so clean. ;)
Grammy
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

No, what is happening is that she has a vector PDF, and when she tries copying and pasting so she has a clean cutting file, it copies a vector and pastes a bitmap. It is something with the Mac version of Inkscape. Can anyone help?
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

Hi Evelyn, I just found this (sorry I didn't find it sooner).

"Starting with XQuartz 2.3.2, X11 has some functionality to exchange the content of the clipboard with OS X. But it currently does not know how to deal with vector images so it just captures the screen, i.e. creates a bitmap copy, and then pastes that. You need to deactivate this functionality in X11 preferences > Pasteboard: uncheck "Update Pasteboard when CLIPBOARD changes". However, this will also prevent copying text from any X11 application to Mac OS X ones. It will not prevent copying text from OS X to X11.

This is from the Inkscape wiki here. http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... or_objects

Here is an image of the setting s they say will work, it was posted on the Inkscape forum here. http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic. ... ste#p17000
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Oh my gosh, Heather! That was it! I knew it must have been some property that was selected somewhere, but I didn’t even think to look at the X11! I never would have even recognized that post as a solution to my problem.

Thank you for seeing my problem so clearly, and recognizing the solution when you saw it. You brought back full functionality to my Inkscape program!

Thanks again! Evelyn
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

BTT
paricpo

Post by paricpo »

HeatherM wrote:Hi Evelyn, I just found this (sorry I didn't find it sooner).

"Starting with XQuartz 2.3.2, X11 has some functionality to exchange the content of the clipboard with OS X. But it currently does not know how to deal with vector images so it just captures the screen, i.e. creates a bitmap copy, and then pastes that. You need to deactivate this functionality in X11 preferences > Pasteboard: uncheck "Update Pasteboard when CLIPBOARD changes". However, this will also prevent copying text from any X11 application to Mac OS X ones. It will not prevent copying text from OS X to X11.

This is from the Inkscape wiki here. http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... or_objects

Here is an image of the setting s they say will work, it was posted on the Inkscape forum here. http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic. ... ste#p17000
Thanks for your tips bro....
valentind06

Post by valentind06 »

GrammyKrausse wrote:I read if it is a pdf vector graphic it will already show up as converted if you open it in Inkscape. If it shows up with a red x it is not vector. (easy to see if you go to view and outline) I know there are lots of pdf files that are not vector Stockage Mobile. There is a webisite out there that has most of the older Cricut carts that provo craft did in PDF/vector format and all you have to do is take them apart and you have the most clean clear svg's out there. I have most of the carts but use the pdf's more often because they are so clean. ;)
Grammy
And why we could not change that so that we can do things properly.