Inkscape help - files blank when imported

General discussion about Inkscape
hbennett

Inkscape help - files blank when imported

Post by hbennett »

I just downloaded Inkscape. Todd mentioned that the ability to import SVG was coming, but somehow I missed it for a few days. Anyhow, when I save an image in inkscape and then import it into SCA, nothing shows up... just an empty red box. This empty box does change siza and shape when importing a different image, so I think it "sees" something. You think I am saving wrong in Inkscape? Is there a trick here?
Laura

Re: Inkscape help - files blank when imported

Post by Laura »

Hi Everyone,
I bought SCA on Thursday I think and I feel like I've learned a new skill everyday since then! It is pretty exciting and I'm having so much fun with the product. However, I'm having the same problem with SVG files, some show up in SCA and some don't. Any information about what I'm doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.
Laura
shellieh

Post by shellieh »

you have to trace them first. Trace them in inkscape, then save, and they should show up in SCA. hth
(don't trace by hand,there should be a button in inkscape that does it for you) I use adobe illustrator, so I can't give you step by step instructions.
Fun scrapbook kits! no subs. http://www.scrappinfun.com
Come see me at my blog. http://shellieh98.blogspot.com
hbennett

Post by hbennett »

Do you have to do the same thing in Illustrator or does it just save automatically... I think I have a copy of Illustrator somewhere... will have to dig. All I have needed is Photoshop for the longest time.
jancy

Post by jancy »

I don't hvae SCA yet, but try zooming out when you open the file in SCA.(not sure if SCA has that feature or not)

I use inkscape a lot & when I open a file in Robomaster to use on my Wishblade, the file will sometimes not be on the canvas area, but will be visible when you zoom out. you can then move the items in your file to the canvas.

Also, don't group the tracings in inkscape. That's another instance when files don't show up in RM when traced in inkscape.

Hope you figure it out. When you do, please post how you resolved it here :)
Laurieinaz

Post by Laurieinaz »

I'm having this same issue. Anybody have any thoughts? It's all so new to me I'm not even sure where to look for an answer.
hbennett

Post by hbennett »

It worked in Ikscape - I just selected path and then trace bitmap, saved and closed. Was fine. Seems crazy to have to do this, but what do I know?
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I'm busy trying the things you've suggested. I'll keep you posted!
jj01

Post by jj01 »

When I went to the Inskscape site, it mentioned XP but doesn't say anything about Vista. Does anyone know if it works with Vista? Thanks
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

hbennett wrote:I just downloaded Inkscape. Todd mentioned that the ability to import SVG was coming, but somehow I missed it for a few days. Anyhow, when I save an image in inkscape and then import it into SCA, nothing shows up... just an empty red box. This empty box does change siza and shape when importing a different image, so I think it "sees" something. You think I am saving wrong in Inkscape? Is there a trick here?

I worked on this for someone else and I think I found the answer to the problem...worked when I tried it. Link to the post below.

HTH

http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopi ... p=600#p600
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...