Welding with Inkscape

General discussion about Inkscape
SJ5

Welding with Inkscape

Post by SJ5 »

Have finally managed to weld letters together using only the Inkscape programme and then into SCA.
Using the "A" tool in Inkscape, type in your words, then use the Alt button and the < button, keep pressing until letters are welded together sufficiently, then hit the "Object to Path" option and then the "Union" option (both under the Path heading). Go to file and save as whatever you like.

Open SCA and do import, find your file and it should come up already welded etc. Haven't tried cutting yet, but I think this would work really well.

Have tried to attach a "print screen" of it, but not sure if it's worked.

SJ
sca.JPG
sca.JPG (34.09 KiB) Viewed 7503 times
raewyn64

Re: Welding with Inkscape

Post by raewyn64 »

Thanks for that - I downloaded Inkscape yesterday so this is great to know.
Raewyn
Crafty Chelle

Post by Crafty Chelle »

Thanks for the instructions!
sboz

Post by sboz »

Excellant! Thanks for sharing! Inkscape seems to be a VERY interesting program one which I will have to get to know.

Shari
Bug Safe: http://www.pbase.com/bugsafe/inbox
My Blog - "The Bug Stop" - where you can find my .cut files:
http://thebugstop.blogspot.com/
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

Don't you find it funny that as fast as we find something new to try we find something else.
First it was Baby Cricuts then E Cricuts then Design Studio then Sure Cuts a Lot and now programmes like Inkscape that can create .svg files

It is great that we can keep finding new ways to use our original equipment.

Raewyn
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

SJ5 wrote:Have finally managed to weld letters together using only the Inkscape programme and then into SCA.
Using the "A" tool in Inkscape, type in your words, then use the Alt button and the < button, keep pressing until letters are welded together sufficiently, then hit the "Object to Path" option and then the "Union" option (both under the Path heading). Go to file and save as whatever you like.

Open SCA and do import, find your file and it should come up already welded etc. Haven't tried cutting yet, but I think this would work really well.

SJ
sca.JPG
I tried it and it works perfectly. I used a cursive font...I am loving this

Thanks for sharing this.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
boysboysboys

Post by boysboysboys »

SJ5 wrote:Have finally managed to weld letters together using only the Inkscape programme and then into SCA.

SJ
sca.JPG
Awesome! I keep finding myself saying that over and over! SCA is just amazing!!! Anyway, do you remember the name of the font you used here? I really like it!!
Thanks for the directions--can't wait to load inkscape & try it!!
SJ5

Post by SJ5 »

The font is called MKBritish Writing. I'm sorry I don't remember which site I downloaded it from, but it was one of the ones referred to on the main SCA site - either dafonts.com or something like that. I've looked at and downloaded so many interesting fonts and dingbats in the last week, I'm entirely confused!

SJ
DiCutter

Post by DiCutter »

This is great that we can weld with Inkscape. I downloaded Inkscape last night and have played with it a bit. So far I have been able to successfully convert a bitmap image to an svg file. I just tried to type using A button, I chose a font to type with, hit enter -- but here's the problem, it always goes back to a font called Sansumi -- not the font I chose. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help? I can believe I can't get something a simple as text to work! UGH!
SJ5

Post by SJ5 »

I'm not terribly sure why you're hitting the return button. The way I do it is to create a text box using the "A" tool, go up to the fonts, select one by left clicking, then move the cursor to the top of the text box, left click again and then start typing - hope this helps!

SJ