Welding with Inkscape

General discussion about Inkscape
DiCutter

Re: Welding with Inkscape

Post by DiCutter »

Ok, somehow I got it to change -- not sure how I did it. It seems that it always wants to go back to default (which used to be Sansumi, but now I somehow changed it to BlackJack). Wish I could figure out how to disable default. Maybe I'm just trying to make this more complicated than it is. Anyway, I was able to cut a welded font with BlackJack font -- so darned cool!

Do you know of anyway to change the Ruler from pixels to inches? [Edited -- I figured out how to do this, go to Edit, Document Properties, under the Page tab, go to General and change the default units to your selection]

Thanks for all your help!
Last edited by DiCutter on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SJ5

Post by SJ5 »

The rulers in my screen of Inkscape are in millimetres - I can't see any way to change them to anything else, but saying that, I know very little about this programme.

Sorry

SJ
boysboysboys

Post by boysboysboys »

SJ5 wrote:The font is called MKBritish Writing. I'm sorry I don't remember which site I downloaded it from, but it was one of the ones referred to on the main SCA site - either dafonts.com or something like that. I've looked at and downloaded so many interesting fonts and dingbats in the last week, I'm entirely confused!

SJ
Thanks so much! I think I can find it with just the font name. I totally know what you mean about looking at so many!! I'm in the same boat!! I wouldn't be able to tell you where I got a font from either!! :lol:
Thanks again!
Kristie
DiCutter

Post by DiCutter »

SJ5 wrote:The rulers in my screen of Inkscape are in millimetres - I can't see any way to change them to anything else, but saying that, I know very little about this programme.

Sorry

SJ
Thanks for all your help, you know more about this than I do ;) . Finally got a welded cut with BlackJack font. So happy to be able to do this. I still can't figure out why the font choice always reverts back to a default, but I can work around this by resetting the default when I want to use a different font. It's probably just a setting I need to change somewhere.
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

DiCutter wrote:Ok, somehow I got it to change -- not sure how I did it. It seems that it always wants to go back to default (which used to be Sansumi, but now I somehow changed it to BlackJack). Wish I could figure out how to disable default. Maybe I'm just trying to make this more complicated than it is. Anyway, I was able to cut a welded font with BlackJack font -- so darned cool!

Do you know of anyway to change the Ruler from pixels to inches?

Thanks for all your help!
There is an arrow for the drop down menu at the end of the measurements
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (112.26 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
Aussie Alli

Post by Aussie Alli »

I'm downloading inscape now, but, forgive me if i'm being dense, but when i download an SVG file, I get a message saying I don't have what it takes to view it (paraphrasing) so what do i need to download to be able to view SVG files? :?:

Thanks for any help
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thank you so much for these instructions. They were great. I was actually able to do this after a few trys. I still can't get some of my shape or image files to show up in SCA but I'll take this!!! I'll post the tile I made.
Laurieinaz

Post by Laurieinaz »

I'm trying to do a weld in inkscape where you first position the letters not in a straight line but with some a little higher and some a little lower. The instructions say to use alt + Up or Down to do this. But what key is Up and Down? I tried using the cursor keys, but they don't work.

Instructions also say to use alt + left to weld, but that didn't work either. As someone pointed out, it's alt + <. So what's the corresponding key for up and down?
SJ5

Post by SJ5 »

The way I've worked out to do that is: using the "A" key, type one letter, left click again, type another letter and so on. Then using the "Select" arrow at the top left of the panel, drag each letter individually to the place I want. When they're all joined up, go to "Union" (under Path header), click that and then they should all weld together. That way, you can have the letters higher or lower. As yet, I haven't worked out how to position letters at an angle, but then it's early days....

SJ
sboz

Post by sboz »

SJ5,

That makes sense because what you are doing by left clicking is creating another 'box' - each letter is individual. Conversly, if one just types a word then that entire word is in one 'box'. Your method creates individual letters in their own box therefore they can be moved independantly.

TFS!

Shari
Bug Safe: http://www.pbase.com/bugsafe/inbox
My Blog - "The Bug Stop" - where you can find my .cut files:
http://thebugstop.blogspot.com/