SVG with graphics Import Help Please

General discussion about Inkscape
midgetgem1980

Post by midgetgem1980 »

Good Morning

So i'm new to SCAL and my silver bullet after using a Cameo for the past 4 yrs.

Quick question... i have a wedding favour design that i have put together in silhouette comprising of print and cut (not silhouette files, all my own) when i save it as an svg and try to import it into SCAL my graphics are missing.... Am i missing something? or do i have to rebuild the designs in the SCAL Software.

I'd appreciate any help or advice with this... Thank you for taking the time to read.

Mel x
Attachments
SVG File open in SCAL
SVG File open in SCAL
Screenshot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.39.png (46.91 KiB) Viewed 15445 times
SVG file open in silhouette
SVG file open in silhouette
Screenshot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.10.png (98.3 KiB) Viewed 15445 times
SandyMcC

Re: SVG with graphics Import Help Please

Post by SandyMcC »

In some cases the original graphic will be retained, but in others not. It appears that you can't keep the raster with SVG exports from Silhouette Studio. But if you still have the original graphic, you can easily import it into SCAL and then still import the SVG so that the cut lines will be there. Then align both, make sure the cut lines are on a lower level on the Layers Panel, select both and go to Object>Clip Path>Set Clip Path.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
midgetgem1980

Post by midgetgem1980 »

Thank you, I’ll give this a try tomorrow. If I was to do my designs in adobe illustrator would I have the same problem or is it just the silhouette software?
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

More likely it's how Silhouette Studio is exporting the SVG. The reason I say that is you can import an SVG that has a traced image from Make The Cut or from Inkscape and it comes in perfectly. I don't have Illustrator so I can't test it. But I think it works okay because the product line I support, Klic-N-Kut, has a lot of customers who use Illustrator for designing and then cut from SCAL and no one has brought up this issue with me before.
Sandy McCauley
midgetgem1980

Post by midgetgem1980 »

Thank you for all your help. Moved across perfectly with adobe illustrator.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Mel x
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I don't have AI anymore either, but I use Inkscape to create all of my files. As long as images are embedded in the svg file they show up along with the vectors when I bring the file into SCAL/eCAL.
LenfrerNe

Post by LenfrerNe »

Its not happening. When I export the XML from FCP X and then try on a different machine to import into DP 7.24, the file is greyed-out and wont import. I cant even select it to try..

Im wondering if FCP uses a newer version of XML that DP has not caught up to yet? If so, is there a little app that could convert? I have the newest version of FCP X, which brought back XML exporting.

Ive done extensive searching an cannot come up with an answer about this.

Anyone?
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Since I don't recognize any of the formats you mention, I don't think you're using either Sure Cuts A Lot or Inkscape, which is the focus of this forum. Trying googling to find a different resource that actually covers some of these formats. Good luck.
Sandy McCauley