Using Inkscape for model airplane plans

General discussion about Inkscape
pedwards2932

Using Inkscape for model airplane plans

Post by pedwards2932 »

Having some difficulty taking measurements on airplane plans. I am tracing over pdf plans and some pieces have notches that are 1/16 inch square. I know you can measure a line as you draw it but I would like to be able to measure after it is drawn. In SketchUp you have a tape measure that you can do this type of measuring and it looked like someone was developing it for Inkscape but I don't see a measurement tool on Inkscape and I downloaded the newest version. Any ideas?
papasue

Re: Using Inkscape for model airplane plans

Post by papasue »

Hi, you might find more Inkscape guru's on the Inkscape Forum: http://www.inkscapeforum.com
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
papasue

Post by papasue »

I've been thinking about your question and perhaps it is a simple answer. Forgive me if you know all of this.

After drawing your line, select it and it's h and w are displayed See photo
Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 3.30.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 3.30.35 PM.png (48.48 KiB) Viewed 14774 times

Also do you have grid turned on? view/grid
you can set the grid lines to different sizes in file/document properties
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
pedwards2932

Post by pedwards2932 »

Thanks for the help. I was able to get the grid up and get the measurements but it is still a little difficult getting the accuracy. The grid is in inch squares and the ruler is divided into 1/8" increments. I can draw a 1/16" square and use that for the notches. I need to figure out how to combine it with a curve and then delete one side of the square to make it a notch.
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I use the 0,0 point on the virtual drawing board, to help sometimes put my object at a known location, then I can make sure the lines are straight up and down and then the horizontal also by using the nodes and their positions which you can type in the boxes.

And the Object/Align and Distribute if I want the objects aligned relative to each other (back to back or centered) before I want to combine them.

if you need more guidance, I am sure i can find some tutorials.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I should have read this post first. You can change your grid settings in the preferences too.

When you say combine the square with a curve, are you putting rounded corners on the square or removing the square from a curved shape? You can round the corners of rectangles in Inkscape, but it rounds all four corners. I don't know how to do just one or two without using two squares.

If you just want to cut the triangle (with sharp corners) from a curved shape the easiest way is to position the square where you want it, select both the square and the curved shape and use Path/Difference. Make sure that the square is above the curved shape first (z direction) since the upper shape is removed from the lower shape.
pedwards2932

Post by pedwards2932 »

Yes that is exactly what I was doing this morning and it gives a precise notch. That with the ability to get the grid in 1/16 inch is making it easier to be more precise. The notches need to be square not rounded.
newbiecat

Post by newbiecat »

Hi
You can change the end of the stroke style in the Fill and Stroke Pallete ( Shift+Ctrl+F) click on the Stroke Style tab - it is in the section called Cap

P
Win7, SCAL3.044, Silver Bullet 18" Craft Artist Pro, Photoshop,
claricia36

Post by claricia36 »

pedwards2932 wrote:Thanks for the help. I was able to get the grid up and get the measurements but it is still a little difficult getting the accuracy. The grid is in inch squares and the ruler is divided into 1/8" increments rachat de crédit. I can draw a 1/16" square and use that for the notches. I need to figure out how to combine it with a curve and then delete one side of the square to make it a notch.
Il y a un moment, j'ai eu le même souci, mais heureusement que je suis tombé sur le forum.
Thomasd87

Post by Thomasd87 »

pedwards2932 wrote: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:07 pm Thanks for the help. I was able to get the grid up and get the measurements but it is still a little difficult getting the accuracy. The grid is in inch squares and the ruler is divided into 1/8" increments. I can draw a 1/16" square and use that for the notches. I need to figure out how to combine it with a curve and then delete one side of the square to make it a notch.
Maybe you could send us some pictures of your project.