Help me understand why Inkscape is still needed

General discussion about Inkscape
just_scrappin

Help me understand why Inkscape is still needed

Post by just_scrappin »

As I said earlier I am way behind catching up to all you guys! I downloaded Inkscape and followed the first tutorial just fine...the second one that is another story.

I guess my question is if welding and shadowing are now able to be done with SCA why do/should you learn/use Inkscape?

Layman terms here please! I only thought that I was computer literate!

Thanks!
Laurie
boysboysboys

Re: Help me understand why Inkscape is still needed

Post by boysboysboys »

As far as I am concerned, right now, I have no need for inkscape with the new SCA updates. I don't have the time to do all of the tracing and designing that others do so well. So I am just thrilled with the shadow & weld features on SCA!!! I did download inkscape, but I just didn't have the time to play with it....maybe someday....but for now, I am just so excited to be able to weld & shadow with SCA!!! That was THE ONLY reason I was considering buying CDS---just to weld....so, now I don't have too!!! I am sooooooo excited!! Thanks so much to Todd!!! :D
Krisite
plg1117

Post by plg1117 »

I am not trying to discourage anyone from being excited about SCA's ability to weld and shadow, but because there is no group function AND because you can't use multiple mats in SCA like you can in CDS - you are limited to what you can weld and shadow in SCA..

I am as excited as everyone else about how quickly Todd & Craftedge get out their updates and they listen to what we all want. For that reason I'm confident that we'll get the grouping feature soon.

But I guess I'm not getting rid of Inkscape just yet... there's still a few things that we need in SCA to make it a complete program. SCA's weld and shadow function are excellent and extremely easy if you are typing a word all at once, then you can just copy the word and change the font style to shadow - done! But what if you want to weld something to the top of your word or to the bottom. In CDS you can open multiple mats and keep the preview as your background - then you can make your shadow and move the words or shapes around to make sure they line up right. Since CDS doesn't have the group function - being able to have multiple mats open allows you to make the shadow without having to move it to cut it. With SCA you can't do that because you don't have the group function or the multiple mat option. So you will be limited to what you can weld and then make a shadow for... If you don't make shadows or mats then you're good to go with SCA all by itself!

I feel kinda like a spoiled brat that isn't happy with the brand new Chevy car that her parents just got her cuz she wanted a BMW... :oops: But i really am very appreciative for Todd. It has been awesome getting all the updates that we've gotten and the software just came out Jan. 30th!! Amazing! The Customer service is so quick and I don't think I've read a post where someone hasn't gotten their problem fixed! So even though I'm not packing up my Inkscape just yet.... I do love the SCA program! :D
Steph Stimson

Post by Steph Stimson »

Why can't you just put both words, normal font and the shadow font, on the same mat? Why do you need to use separate mats? The 'shadow' feature that Todd added is an exact shadow to the normal font of the word you typed...I just brought my 'normal' down over the top of the 'shadow' on the same mat and could see that they were exact. Doesn't SCA work just like CDS when it comes to the 'where it's placed on the virtual mat is where it will cut on your Cricut mat' theory?
Stephanie Stimson
Creative Memories Consultant
CMID #33596439

redhdgirl417@charter.net
http://www.mycmsite.com/sites/stephaniestimson
NELS

Post by NELS »

Stephanie.. that is what I did and then used two different papers on the same mat. Left and right side or top and bottom and positioned my cuts.. word and shadow on the mat so I cut both on one mat.
NELS

Post by NELS »

Yes I would still like to use Inkscape so I can create my own designs... I don't know how artistic I am.. but it would be fun....
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

Aside from being able to create your own designs and cut them on the Cricut, there is the added benefit of creating titles and converting them in Inkscape.

If you create this simply fantastic title and want to share it with others, unless they have the same font installed in their computer that you used in the title, they won't see what you see.

Same scenario, create this fantastic title in Inkscape, follow the steps of converting to object and then union and they will see exactly what you see.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
plg1117

Post by plg1117 »

This is another thread where we were discussing this issue...

Please let me know if you figure out how to do this...

**plg1117 wrote:
I am so impressed with Todd's customer service and their FAST response to our wishlist....

HOWEVER

I don't think the shadowing feature will work without being able to open mulitple mats... It works fine if you're just typing a word or adding your shape as one word.... but if you want to weld a shape where you have to break off from your main word and weld the object to the top/bottom of your word - it won't work... You can't preview it and when you overlap them to preview you have to move them off of each other and then of course your word becomes "unwelded" because there is no grouping....

I have posted this issue in several different places and have not gotten any response - am I the only one trying this? Am I doing something wrong??

HELP!!!**
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just now tried to do what you are saying - I understand what you are saying and you are correct - it does not work. Hmmm.... something for the "Wish List"?

Shari
just_scrappin

Post by just_scrappin »

Guess I am still not following why Inkscape is needed/wanted. Are you finding something specific that you are then using inkscape to convert into a file that the cricut will cut?

Guess I am too far out of the loop to follow....maybe I just haven't played with it enough.
kkrewtea

Post by kkrewtea »

I don't use it. I thought it was needed also. I've cut several thing with SCAL alone. Shadows, dings. I did have to use it once to get rid of some thing I didn't want in a ding, but I do all my welding and shadowing in SCAL.

Shirl