Inkscape - struggling with something very simple - help plea

General discussion about Inkscape
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: Inkscape - struggling with something very simple - help

Post by HeatherM »

You only need to trace if you are working with a non-vector image (jpg, bmp, or png for example). Fonts are a type of vector format so they don't need to be traced, just converted to Path.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

trace bitmap is for when you have an raster image (bitmap, jpg, gif, tiff etc) then you import that into inkscape, select it and go path>trace bitmap.
I'm not a big fan of this and if possible I will manually trace by drawing with the bezier tool around what I want but it can be handy.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
SMG

Post by SMG »

many thanks for the explanations
papasue

Post by papasue »

Happy that you were able to get the U done. You only need to use TRACE BITMAP when you have imported a .jpg or .png into Inkscape to convert it to a vector.

Here is a list of tutorial for beginners you might find them useful. Always willing to help those who want to help themselves!

https://www.google.com/search?q=basic+i ... ent=safari
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
SMG

Post by SMG »

Thanks for the link
paricpo

Post by paricpo »

I try this for myself but couldn't adjust this. Thanks for your tips that helps me much.
kranaud99

Re: Inkscape - struggling with something very simply - help

Post by kranaud99 »

HeatherM wrote:Actually, your version of SCAL is very relevant here. :) If you used Path/Object to Path to convert your font then you need to Ungroup it since SCAL1 doesn't like Group and the newer versions of Ink will Group text when you use Object to Path. If you didn't convert the font to Path then either use Path/Union (no need to Ungroup with this option Mobilier design, but it permanently welds anything overlapping) or Path/Object to Path and then use Ungroup.

If that doesn't solve your problem you will probably need to post the svg file since I'm not clear on exactly your symptoms. ;) HTH
Thank you for that clarification. We will endeavor to remember them.
Thomass04

Re: Inkscape - struggling with something very simply - help

Post by Thomass04 »

HeatherM wrote:Actually, your version of SCAL is very relevant here. :) If you used Path/Object to Path to convert your font then you need to Ungroup it since SCAL1 doesn't like Group and the newer versions of Ink will Group text when you use Object to Path. If you didn't convert the font to Path then either use Path/Union (no need to Ungroup with this option, but it permanently welds anything overlapping) or Path/Object to Path and then use Ungroup.

If that doesn't solve your problem you will probably need to post the svg file since I'm not clear on exactly your symptoms. ;) HTH
I galley often when I do something on the tool. Fortunately you're here to help us.