Inkscape - struggling with something very simple - help plea

General discussion about Inkscape
SMG

Inkscape - struggling with something very simple - help plea

Post by SMG »

I have the latest version of Inkscape and the oldest version of SCAL (not that it is relevant to what I am trying to do)

All I want to do is to cut a very large U shape using the Bookman Old Style font in Bold so that it fits the fron of a birthday card.

I have tried everything from putting it into a pdf - opening the text of the U in inkscape but whatever I do I cannot do a preview once I have down path to object etc. I therefore never get the double image so that I can save one as the svg file to cut.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong with something so simple?

It's been such a long time since I tried to create anything in Inkcape but I have followed instructions to the letter.

Thanks
Last edited by SMG on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
alliellis

Re: Inkscape - struggling with something very simply - help

Post by alliellis »

Hi
Do you not already have that font loaded on your computer? It was a standard one on mine. If so you could bypass inkscape and just cut straight in SCAL ( unless I am missing something of course, which is entirely possible knowing me!)

Allison
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: Inkscape - struggling with something very simply - help

Post by HeatherM »

Actually, your version of SCAL is very relevant here. :) If you used Path/Object to Path to convert your font then you need to Ungroup it since SCAL1 doesn't like Group and the newer versions of Ink will Group text when you use Object to Path. If you didn't convert the font to Path then either use Path/Union (no need to Ungroup with this option, but it permanently welds anything overlapping) or Path/Object to Path and then use Ungroup.

If that doesn't solve your problem you will probably need to post the svg file since I'm not clear on exactly your symptoms. ;) HTH
SMG

Re: Inkscape - struggling with something very simple - help

Post by SMG »

Thanks both

I knew I was missing something!! I don't think I do have the version of the font but I can always install it.

Secondly yes I was using path to object ect but would I need to ungroup if I am only using one letter?
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

SMG wrote:Secondly yes I was using path to object ect but would I need to ungroup if I am only using one letter?
Yes. Even if it's only one letter then Ink will still Group it. Try using Path/Union if you are just doing simple text and don't need to re-arrange multiple letters. That will save you the step of Ungrouping. :)
SMG

Post by SMG »

Thanks - I can look at both options as there might be something else that I am trying to convert into an SVG that I may have to look at
SMG

Post by SMG »

Ok so cutting it directly in SCAL works but I'd still like to find out why I can't create an SVG in Inkscape. This is what I have been doing:

Create the letter U in Bold text
View display mode - outline
Click on image
Go to - path -union
Go to - path - trace bitmap
In the window click the brightness circle - set threshold to 0.650 -click preview(can' only click on update which doesn't do anything)
click ok
close trace bitmap window - nothing has been traced

Where am I going wrong?
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

That's how I would do it. I have the export to scal and export to scalpro options on my inkscape but I'd still save the file unless I was sure I was not going to use it again

Gaz
papasue wrote: you did a great job explaining this, it makes it easier. For us.

You don't need anything after step 4. By creating the U in inkscape and doing the path union you made a vector , that's all you need. you can save the file as an svg and open it in SCAL.

Try that and if I have err'd, come on back and see if someone else has a different opinion :P
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
papasue

Post by papasue »

Thanks DragonLord I was deleting the post because I left out a step or maybe two.

1. Type the letter U, make it bold or add color as you want.
2, Object/ungroup (as Heather suggested)
3. Path/Union
4. SAVE as svg
5. Import into SCAL

When you typed the text in Inkscape it was almost a vector. No need to trace Bitmap as you want a vector. You just needed to "ungroup" text works that way for some reason, then the path/union was all that was necessary.

Let us know..
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
SMG

Post by SMG »

That worked thanks everyone who tried to help

I know it was very simple but I just couldn't get it.

I didn't realise you didn't have to trace bitmap and do the brightness correction. Can you explain when I would have to use trace bitmap etc?