Help with Inkscape

General discussion about Inkscape
lilgreykitty

Help with Inkscape

Post by lilgreykitty »

I am almost in tears...I feel so dumb. I just downloaded Inscape, and I can't even type letters on it. I followed the picture tutorial exactly to page 5 where it says to type your letters one at a time. I'm typing and nothing happens. :cry: What am I doing wrong?
=^..^=
ailina

Re: Help with Inkscape

Post by ailina »

You have to click on the 'A' on the left hand column (I think). Haven't used it much and not for a while but I think that is the one.
Irene
lilgreykitty

Post by lilgreykitty »

Thanks Irene. It doesn't mention that in the tutorial...but now it doesn't matter...I just saw the post about the SCAL update. Now I don't need that stupid Inkscape! YAY!
=^..^=
susibi

Post by susibi »

If you want to draw your own templates you still need a graphics program -SCAL will weld letters, dingbats and the basic shapes that are in its shape library. Honestly Inkscape is not difficult , if you follow the tutorial slowly - sorry I didn't mention that you needed to click on the text tool before typing text, I took it for granted that people knew what the big A was for. :cry:
Susibi :D
plg1117

Post by plg1117 »

I'm not getting rid of Inkscape just yet - there's still a problem with welding and not being able to group in SCA. I will continue to use Inkscape for everything except the most basic welding and shadowing.

The upgrades are awesome- but we're still not quite there yet... :)
lilgreykitty

Post by lilgreykitty »

susibi wrote:If you want to draw your own templates you still need a graphics program -SCAL will weld letters, dingbats and the basic shapes that are in its shape library. Honestly Inkscape is not difficult , if you follow the tutorial slowly - sorry I didn't mention that you needed to click on the text tool before typing text, I took it for granted that people knew what the big A was for. :cry:
Thats ok susidi. I am just really techno callenged...I am 58 years old, so I never had any real training with computers like all of you young people. Just learning as I go. I have 10 year old grandchildren that I ask for help sometimes. Bless their little hearts, they are so patient with me. But I do want to thank you and everyone else who post turtorials and helpful hints. I could never figure this out on my own. I am uninstalling Inkscape. I'm happy with the upgrades Todd has made...it works for me :)
=^..^=
susibi

Post by susibi »

thanks for the 'young thing' lilgreykitty but you're slightly younger than me!!! :shock:
The important thing is that you are getting the most from your machine :)
lilgreykitty

Post by lilgreykitty »

susibi wrote:thanks for the 'young thing' lilgreykitty but you're slightly younger than me!!! :shock:
The important thing is that you are getting the most from your machine :)
SENIORS ROCK!!!
=^..^=
NELS

Post by NELS »

I am with you . "SENIORS ROCK". I am 56 and I am keeping Inkscape because I want to learn new things.. I copied all the tutorial and will read them and practice doinjg things. (maybe it will help keep from getting loss of memory disease, I hope. I've read doing crossword puzzles helps but this is more fun.. lol. I had trouble downloading this new version because I didn't see the icon to click on but with help (thanks sboz) and patience I got it done. But for right now I am going to play with this new version of SCAL. When I want to do more I will study and learn Inkscape. I want to get the big bug someday and Inkscape will be great for that.
ailina

Post by ailina »

61 year old 'young thing' here, and I am keeping Inkscape too, mainly because I love it. I do like the new features that Todd has given us too. We are pretty lucky.
Irene