Inkscape and Cameo

General discussion about Inkscape
cmsmith64

Re: Inkscape and Cameo

Post by cmsmith64 »

jasenj1 wrote:If you did all that, you might like using GIMP to trace the outlines. I use the magic wand selection tool to select the white background of images, then inverse the selection - which gets me the shape outlines I want. You can then save the selection paths as SVG. The magic wand tool has a lot of parameters you can set to get the selection just right.

In your steps below, I don't understand why you moved the images aside before cutting. You can set the lines to not cut.

- Jasen.
How do you set the lines to not cut!? Designer Edition for Silhouette Studio does not even give you option to hide the pieces you don't want to cut like SCAL3 does. I group the shadow and image together to get the border I would like and than print and cut...works for me! I have set the shadow and image together, move the shadow and print and than cut the image after moving the shadow back into place...too tedious.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

susibi,
What a great tip! I never would have guessed that because in Inkscape the outset leaves so many nodes I just assumed it was that way in other programs.

cmsmith,
In SIlh Studio go to the cut styles pane. click on the horizontal scissors. There you can click on objects and set them to no cut, cut just the edge, cut perforated, cut all, etc.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

jasenj1 wrote:If you did all that, you might like using GIMP to trace the outlines. I use the magic wand selection tool to select the white background of images, then inverse the selection - which gets me the shape outlines I want. You can then save the selection paths as SVG. The magic wand tool has a lot of parameters you can set to get the selection just right.

In your steps below, I don't understand why you moved the images aside before cutting. You can set the lines to not cut.

- Jasen.
Jasen, How are you saving SVG from Gimp?

I found a plugin but it doe snot seem to work, gimp does not export or save as SVG natively from what I can find.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave