Pulling my hair out...inkscape trace bitmap...

General discussion about Inkscape
KarenS

Pulling my hair out...inkscape trace bitmap...

Post by KarenS »

I have a bitmap that was created as a graphic for my hubby's hockey team (no copyright infringement issues), and I would like to be able to reproduce it using inkscape/scal/cricut. I have imported it into inkscape, played around with all the options in the trace bitmap section, but just can't get it right! I "think" that I need layers to reproduce it the way I want it, but have no clue where to start. If somebody would be willing to hold my hand through this first project, I would be eternally grateful. This is what the image looks like....

susibi

Re: Pulling my hair out...inkscape trace bitmap...

Post by susibi »

It's certainly very detailed - what effect do you want?
I would think that a basic outline plus a detailed overcut would probably be best.
Susibi :D
KarenS

Post by KarenS »

I imported the bitmap and did a brightness cutoff with a threshold of .450. This effectively turned the image into a black and white selection, which I am good with. I just don't know what to do next :roll: Do I delete the original bitmap? Save the new and improved straight away or are there interim steps I have to take? I am a fairly tech savvy person, but I think I am putting the cart before the horse with this program. I SHOULD be taking some time to learn it before jumping in, but I have no patience today and really really really want to cut!!! LOL. Thanks for any input you may have
jancy

Post by jancy »

that image has too much detail & color vairations.

the autotrace feature in inkscape is ideal for fonts or photo ready images---all black.

the variations of color in that logo just won't show up as a perfect tracing when using the auto trace feature in inkscape, sorry :(.

can you hand trace in SCAL with your mouse?

I typically hand trace things like that in Wishblade software with my mouse.

If you have a drawing tablet, you could probably trace it with that & convert to a svg file in inkscape.
susibi

Post by susibi »

Jancy , unless I'm missing something SCAL has no drawing tools as far as I can see - you can only open files and resize, rotate them using the bounding box.
The logo could be traced in Inkscape if you make multiple copies and trace each copy using different threshold and brightness settings but agree that it's really too much hassle. Solid images are the best things to trace or images where the contrast is very marked.
I'd settle for the title which can be traced more easily.
jancy

Post by jancy »

susibi wrote:Jancy , unless I'm missing something SCAL has no drawing tools as far as I can see - you can only open files and resize, rotate them using the bounding box.
I don't have SCAL, so I don't know what it can & can't do--haven't dl'd the trial version either.

saving my pennies for SCAL.

didn't realize it was so basic--but if it can open svg files, I'm content with that :D
susibi

Post by susibi »

SCAL is a sort of 'go between' to let your pc comunicate with Cricut without going through the cartridges will open .svg files but I'm trying to open .svg files made in Illustrator and having no luck so maybe there's a step I've missed. Sometimes you have to ungroup before saving and things like that.
Still about the logo :I tried using the Inkscape trace bitmap command as I know you can get it to trace in many different ways : if you set the colour quantization to 10, tick invert image, smooth, stack scans, remove background you get a very interesting looking image - which at a pinch could be cut in grey card and backed onto a black background but it would be a very bitty cut and SCAL cuts very slowly.
I don't do complicated and fiddly cos I don't have time but love experimenting :D :D
and yes - you have to delete or remove your original image before saving as a .svg Karen.
jancy

Post by jancy »

I have made a few tracings from complicated images, but I don't like doing them in general. I don't like explaining things that take a lot of time & steps either, lol.

I haven't worked with something the way you mention, but I have made/ tweaked them by using path:divide after tracing. I then play around with each piece of the file, delete or join lines and such until I get something that is usable.

I typically only make:
*titles w/mats/shadows
*simple images w/ or w/o titles
*trace coloring pages

that's enough for me, lol.
susibi

Post by susibi »

OK - this is what I came up for for Karen - you could cut this in grey card and back onto the outline cut in black.
Here you are Karen - I won't try cutting it though!!!!
Attachments
drawing.svg
(52.78 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Robbysmommyga

Post by Robbysmommyga »

here is what I came up with
Attachments
slashers.svg
(17.36 KiB) Downloaded 238 times