Pulling my hair out...inkscape trace bitmap...

General discussion about Inkscape
KarenS

Re: Pulling my hair out...inkscape trace bitmap...

Post by KarenS »

You ladies rock! Thanks so much for your quick responses.

I am one who NEVER does things the easy way... I have to leave for a bit but am going to try to cut these when I get back. Thanks again
Valerie in OK

Post by Valerie in OK »

susibi wrote:I'm trying to open .svg files made in Illustrator and having no luck so maybe there's a step I've missed.
I've finally figured this out, at least on my computers. I have Illustrator CS on both a Mac and a PC. I tried everything and was getting blank files when I imported my .svg files. I even downloaded the Illustrator CS3 trial, and then finally figured it out. You have to uncheck the Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities box on the screen that shows up after you select Save As SVG. That's it. Basically, I open a new file (RGB), type in words or import artwork, outline and/or join text. Everything has to be outlineed, but that's it. Don't bother about the grouping stuff unless you want to weld or something. Then Save As SVG and make sure that box is not selected.

Settings right now in the menu that pops up after I select Save As SVG (not sure that these matter): are Fonts Subsetting/Only Glyphs Used; Images/Imbed; Uncheck the Preserve Illustrator Editing Box, under Advanced: CSS Properties/Presentation Attributes; 7 Decimal Places; Encoding/ Unicode (UTF-8). Again, I don't think these settings matter, I think it is just unchecking that one box that makes the files show up in SCAL.

Also, in the Illustrator CS3 trial that I downloaded, I didn't have any problems. I plan to use CS for now, though, as I already have it.
susibi

Post by susibi »

Great thanks I'll give it a try - I checked and unchecked most things so that was the missing link!
I rarely use Illustrator but as I have it might as well try that route as well!
Susibi :D
Yep - works a dream - thanks muchly
Welding in Illustrator is very easy ( if you've watched the tuts on UTube 25 times :lol: :lol: :lol: )and gives great results as there seem to be less nodes.
Wanted to see if cutting from an Illustrator file is quicker than cutting from an Inkscape file -Robo certainly cut quicker and smoother using Illustrator files so will be having a go later.
MandyKay

Post by MandyKay »

Hurray I did it in Illustrator too. Right clicked (or apple click) to Create Outline. This put load of little blue squares round all the print. But it worked. :D
Thank you very much Valerie