Help with pattern

General discussion about Inkscape
peglove

Help with pattern

Post by peglove »

Hi, I purchased this paper pattern for a purse favor. I need to make 38 for this weekend, so I thought I would make it so I could cut them out on my Cricut. I am having all kinds of problems. I scanned in the pattern as a Jpeg, brought it inot inkscape and cleaned it up and saved it as a inkscape svg. I couldn't break it apart to make the top and body separate, so I just left them together. Then when I tried to import into scal, it tells me that it is invalid or has no vectors to import. What am I doing wrong. Then, I don't know when I get it into scal if it will cut it out right, and not with double lines. HELP>
Attachments
svg purse 2.svg
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
lkc

Re: Help with pattern

Post by lkc »

All I get is a red x with the words Linked Image not found...don't know if you need to export a bitmap from your Inkscape file so we can see what you're trying to work with...
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

I cannot open either, but here is a link to another small purse bag that was just posted on the forum and perhaps you can use this one.

http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopi ... +purse+bag
Sandy in PA
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Did you try using TRACE in SCAL for your .jpg...adjusting the numbers in TRACE for brightness, etc until it looks right and clicking on ok to have it place on the mat for cutting? So much that some do in inkscape can be all done in scal.
If you end up with double lines, then just select everything and Object Ungroup and maybe Break Apart and delete the lines you don't want.

Hope this helps.

ADDITIONALLY: These are notes I have about this for Inkscape.

.jpg or .gif
put on your desktop and pull into inkscape on left of mat
lock dimensions with padlock at the top
select image and go Path Trace bmp
dialoge box opens...Brightness Cutoff(black & white images), Treshold...don't change
(I always start with just what is there and see what happens)
click Update
click OK
close box
vector image is on top of .jpg or .gif
grab and pull off to the mat
go to View...display mode...outline
original disappears...no worries...ok funky line
Path...Break Apart(boxes around a bunch of things)
click away off to right of mat and click back on mat
grab the shadow and pull over...work the individual pieces as you like
select the grouped objects and Path Combine
view Normal(turns black)
Save

This is just a place to start...I know I don't have the full description of how to here...but it is where I start when I use Inkscape. There are many many tutorials if you google for Inkscape...good luck.
lemontree

Post by lemontree »

As another idea, you could trace with SCAL and cut out the middleman (don't use inkscape at all)
1) Open SCAL
2) Select File> Trace Image, Select your jpg
3) Select the settings you need and trace (use the preview button a lot)
4) Save as an svg or scal file

There is an excellent tutorial on Craft Edge's video tutorial page.

Depending on your pattern, it might help to open in a paint program first and use the paint bucket option to fill in outlines. I use Paint.net for this (it's free and an excellent program).
Check out my SVG collections at http://www.firelite.cc