Inkscape Fonts Question

General discussion about Inkscape
raewyn64

Inkscape Fonts Question

Post by raewyn64 »

I have downloaded some TTF Fonts and I am saving them in a file on my computer (not under Windows Fonts). I can access them fine from here when I want to use them in SCAL. The same as dingbats.

But how can I use them in Inkscape?
I cannot find them when I go to fonts in Inkscape. Do they need to be in Wondows Fonts for Inkscape to find them?

Thanks
Raewyn
dlwrules

Re: Inkscape Fonts Question

Post by dlwrules »

Apparently Inkscape will not recognize all TT fonts.

Since Inkscape is given to us FREE - I won't complain.
Donna Lee

Saying THANKS to Todd for this amazing software and for this very helpful forum, and to all those who are sharing their time and talents here
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

Ah ok thanks for that - and yes I agree completely. Never complain about something you get for nothing!

Raewyn
plg1117

Post by plg1117 »

I downloaded a TT font from one font site and Inkscape wouldn't recogznize it... I did a search and found the same TT font on another site, downloaded, installed it and Inkscape recognizes it... Might be worth a try.
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

Thanks for that.
I moved one of my downloaded fonts to Windows Fonts and Inkscape recognised it so maybe that is my problem.

But all good anyway and that is what matters.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will keep them in mind though if I have any that can't be recognised.

Raewyn
susibi

Post by susibi »

This also happens with some dingbats.
If you are having difficulty open your font in another graphics program - save as jpeg then import to Inkscape and trace.
Another thing you can do is use Word : type your word using the font that Inkscape won't accept; use the kerning command to get the letters as close as possible if you want a welded word select your word, copy, open Paint and paste then save as a jpeg. Trace and save as .svg in Inkscape.
Susibi :D
Kate

Post by Kate »

Susibi! Thanks for the tip using paint! I would never have thought of that.
susibi

Post by susibi »

although Paint is very basic and doesn't use layers it can be very useful for transforming to jpeg from Word.
Susibi :)