Closing Inkscape and Trace Image questions

General discussion about Inkscape
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Closing Inkscape and Trace Image questions

Post by sstehman »

I am working through a book on Inkscape I have and am having 2 issues occur. Can someone tell me if this is normal? When I click "close" at the end of the project, it actually quits and I must restart Inkscape.

The other issues is when I do Path - trace image, one project has me do the trace as a multiple, move the path to the side and then do the trace again as a single. However, after I do one trace image, the dialogue box to do the second trace image is blank (none of the options are there to select).
Sandy in PA
gj1

Re: Closing Inkscape and Trace Image questions

Post by gj1 »

I know the closing part is normal. I just minimize if I still want to use that particular document page. Anytime you open something in Ink it creates a whole new document, I believe. The other I have no understanding of.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Yes, you have to be careful not to close all your inkscape docs or it will close the program. I usually leave a blank doc open so I don't accidentally do this. Just an interface issue that is apparently low priority for the volunteer programmers.

On your second issue, I am guessing that you are trying to trace the results of the first scan instead of the original image. That would be one explanation for not getting the proper dialog choices. When you click on the image to trace, check the status bar at the bottom and make sure it says image and not group of paths to be sure you have the right one.

Can I ask what book you have? Sounds interesting. Good luck...
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Thank you...I will try that. The book is Inkscape..A Guide to Vector Drawing Program by Tavmjong Bah
Sandy in PA
papasue

Post by papasue »

The other issues is when I do Path - trace image, one project has me do the trace as a multiple, move the path to the side and then do the trace again as a single. However, after I do one trace image, the dialogue box to do the second trace image is blank (none of the options are there to select).
With Inkscape 0.47/48 on my Mac it only allows one trace. If I have imported one image and traced it I cannot import another image into that same page and trace it. Just a fluke in the program. So I open a new doc import my image trace it and then copy and paste it into the master document.

It is annoying but you get used to it.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Thank you for the responses everyone. I am using a Mac, but I have a PC (a clunker) too. Anyway, now I understand what is happening is apparently normal and will work around it.
Sandy in PA