How do you smooth jagged edges

General discussion about Inkscape
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

How do you smooth jagged edges

Post by sstehman »

I didn't try to cut this yet, but I am so excited to learn Inkscape and SCAL. Started by taking this pumpking jpg image and am working on converting it to SVG with 3 layers. The top layer is the pumpkin in sections and I would like to cut it and put it on top of a base pumpkin of a darker orange color. I think removed the stem and re-did the stem so I can also cut that separately. My question is on the top layer. The edges are jagged. How do I smooth them. I would think it would be difficult to cut it the way I am seeing it on my screen when I pull the layers apart? (By the way, I love this forum and am learning so much in such a short period of time. What a talented group of people.)
pumpkin with layers.svg
(61.37 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Sandy in PA
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: How do you smooth jagged edges

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Great job.. In inkscape just click on the nodes buttons and delete the ones you don't want.. OR you can click on the nodes option and if you look at your top tool bar there is a half circle with a node in the middle..and line. .I always tell my hubby it looks ike a boob.. ROFLMAO. .just click on the nodes on your image and click on that button it says make nodes symetric and it will even them out..
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Thank you so much. I smoothed out the edges. Will try cutting it tomorrow. If all pieces cut as planned, it will be exciting to upload my first SCAL project. Many thanks to all who post the tutorials and blogs as I have been reading them like crazy and learning the software that way.
Sandy in PA
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Can't wait to see your first post!!! Hope all goes well for you.
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Yeah!!! I cut all 3 pieces this morning and it worked great. I know it's not much, but it was so exciting to be able to make and cut one that started from a .jpg image. I will post it in the Share SVG topic. I am sure there is already a pumpkin out there, but I gotta post something so I feel like a contributor and not just a taker.
Sandy in PA