What did I do wrong?

General discussion about Inkscape
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Re: What did I do wrong?

Post by DogCarbon »

nice card! Glad you could use my file as a starting point.

but I am kinda confused as to why you changed it to a bmp before importing to scal to trace?

You could have modified the svg file right in ink, and import the svg file to cut.

if you have the edit/preferences/ inkscape 90dpi selected, it will import the svg file the same size as it was created in inkscape?

I am saying what you did was wrong, I am just wondering if there is something I am missing?
gj1

Post by gj1 »

:), because I don't know what I am doing :)

I just click here and there and try to figure how I can do it, and whatever happens happens.

I am going to write down what you just said I could do, and try that. Thanks for your help.
Darmy

Post by Darmy »

I am getting the same message. I found a bulldog JPG, imported it to Inkscape and did not change a think on it. I saved it as an SVG and when I try to import it I get the same error message. I don't get it. Is there something wrong with the picture I am trying to use?
Attachments
Bulldogs559.jpg
Bulldogs559.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Darmy wrote:I am getting the same message. I found a bulldog JPG, imported it to Inkscape and did not change a think on it. I saved it as an SVG and when I try to import it I get the same error message. I don't get it. Is there something wrong with the picture I am trying to use?
You can't just import an image into Ink and save as an svg. You need to use Path/Trace bitmap to create a vector. I'm not sure how well your image will trace since it is red and a medium blue and they are pretty close in value. A single color image would be easier to trace. That bulldog looks familiar though. Try a search and you might find one already converted.
Darmy

Post by Darmy »

Thank you.
I'm sorry is there a tutorial somewhere that explains what to do in that box that pops up with the brightness, edge detection and all that stuff? Should it show up in the preview box when I hit update if it is going to work?

This inkscape is really making me feel stupid. I normally work in Adobe CS and I am completely lost.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I have a tutorial on the basics of tracing in Inkscape here and tracing images that aren't black and white here. Inkscape is really much simpler than the Adobe CS products. If you can use those, you can certainly use Inkscape. :D

PS If you have Bridge CS3 you can use that to view your svg files and set it to open them in Inkscape. I don't know if earlier versions can do this and newer version do not.
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Post by lindamac »

gj, your card turned out so cute!!!! You did a great job. I just love your card.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Oh, thank you...I am glad :)
gj1

Post by gj1 »

This was a nice project...thanks to the spammer for bringing it back up :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))