Need help with inkscape file I created please

General discussion about Inkscape
moleigh

Need help with inkscape file I created please

Post by moleigh »

Could someone please take a look at this file that I created in insckape? It looks great in inkscape but when I import it into Scal it doesn't cut like I expected. The image with the hame cut out does not have the "window" around it. I basically just get the solid bookmark that I created and then another solid bookmark with the name cut out. What did I not do right? This is one of the first files I have created from scratch. Thanks for your help. I'm trying to make these for my sons kindergarden class.
kelly.svg
(8.52 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
lkc

Re: Need help with inkscape file I created please

Post by lkc »

Here is a corrected version and a link to a great tutorial from dan99 that helped me learn this technique and will help you understand how to get through the process...hope this helps!

http://dan99.blogspot.com/2009/01/video ... rd-in.html

kelly1.svg
(9.69 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
moleigh

Post by moleigh »

I must be missing something in the tutorial because I actually got this link from your blog and is what I used to try to do this... will try again.. thanks!
lkc

Post by lkc »

I had to ungroup a number of elements so I could use union to connect the ones that needed to be connected, so that may have been creating some trouble for you...there is a relatively new website dedicated to learning Inkscape and the gals there have some great tutorials and other info that may be helpful, too.

http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Dan's tutorial was done using Inkscape 0.46 and you are probably using Inkscape 0.47. Try using Path/Union instead of Object to path.

Object to path on text creates a Group, and you can't use the other Path operations until you Ungroup.
lkc

Post by lkc »

Thanks for the input Heather!