I have an .svg image I'm trying to split in half

General discussion about Inkscape
nvogue2000

I have an .svg image I'm trying to split in half

Post by nvogue2000 »

Is that possible? It seems I'm making it way more difficult than it should be! Here's the file. I'm trying to break it in half between the top and bottom. I'm using Inkscape version .47
Attachments
damask.svg
(61.87 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Last edited by nvogue2000 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
papasue

Re: I have an .svg image I'm trying to split in half

Post by papasue »

Hi, if you could post the file and be more specific about what you want cut in half someone will stop by and help you.

See Newbie FAQ's to find out how to post a file
Also please let us know which version of Inkscape you are using.

Hope to see the file soon.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I am not sure why you need to splitin half, but what I would do, is place a rectangle over top of the image(with a height of 1") Then copy the rectangle and use the object\transform\move and change the distance to 1 inch. Then hit apply. This puts the two rectangles stacked on top of each other and top is the bottom... another way of saying this is there is now a line to cut the images on.

Then I would then hightlight the damask and both rectangles... and copy/paste. then on the original, delete the top rectangle, and on the copy delete the bottom rectangle.

Then highlight one damask and one rectangle and Path/differnce. Then use the Nodes and delete all the other stuff left over.

And then do the other damask.

See attached example....

any other questions, or clarifications needed, just ask.
Attachments
damask_forum.svg
(226.88 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
cloetzu

Post by cloetzu »

Thanks for the explanation DogCarbon! I had to do somethign similar earlier today and lets just say I found a much harder way to do it! I deteled all the extra nodes and then added some to form a straight edge between existing ones! NOT the easy solution!

thanks again! I now have learned 3 things in Inkscape today!
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

An even easier way is to make a rectangle half the width of the original shape and at least as tall. Make sure that the rectangle is above the original shape in the order. Use the alignment tools to align it with either the left or the right edge of the original shape, making sure that the rectangle extends above and below the original shape. Then you can select both the original shape and the rectangle and use Path/Division. Sometimes interior pieces are separated, but it's simple to select all of the pieces for each half and use Control K (Path/Combine). HTH
KimKreates

Post by KimKreates »

Is this what you were looking for? I took Heather M's file and path union on the rectangle with the damask than deleted all the nodes above the rectangle.
Attachments
damask_forum split.svg
(156.5 KiB) Downloaded 297 times