Dashed lines?

General discussion about Inkscape
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Dashed lines?

Post by jasenj1 »

In the past for fold lines I've used dashed lines in Inkscape; then converted the dashed line stroke to paths which creates a whole bunch of little rectangles. Current versions of SCAL2 can set a line style to be dashed and cut actual dashes. But, is there a way for dashed strokes from Inkscape to make it into SCAL? Or would it be better to just tell people to select the fold lines in SCAL and change them to dashed lines there?

- Jasen.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: Dashed lines?

Post by Sweetness4713 »

What i usually do in inkscape is go stroke/path and then use the union/path and it opens them in SCAL2 with no problem at all...
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

There's not a way for line style to come in from Ink that I know of. I would put the fold lines on a separate layer with the instructions you mentioned. The nice thing about the dashed lines in SCAL is they are just single slashes, not the doubled back mini rectangles you get using stroke to path. Some people may want to score with an embossing tool or a shallower blade depth and if the lines are solid and on a separate layer then the user has all those options.
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Post by jasenj1 »

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Separate layer it shall be.

- Jasen.
Piglet

Post by Piglet »

Hello,

Here is another way to do dashes. Select the line you want to be dashed, bring up the fill and stroke options and choose one of the dashed lines offered. With the line still selected go to Effects/Modify Path/ Convert to Dashes.

Piglet