Inkscape!

General discussion about Inkscape
Adrian

Inkscape!

Post by Adrian »

I just downloaded it and all I can say is, "Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh". I need a rainy weekend to play with this and take the tutorials. It looks like a foreign language to me.
lilgreykitty

Re: Inkscape!

Post by lilgreykitty »

I took a look at it today, and I think I'm gonna have to pass on this one. Way too many tricks for this old dog to learn!
=^..^=
plg1117

Re: Inkscape!

Post by plg1117 »

Don't be discouraged - It's really very easy - This is one of those programs where you can do a kazillion things.... but if you only want to weld and create a Mat/shadow it's easy... I got a tutorial that was a huge help, let me see if I can attach it. The tutorial was written back in 2006 with an older version. So there is also a post with an update that I will try and attach - the forum I got it from is http://www.paperthreads.com/forum/

I will attach the zip file with the tutorial for welding and creating a mat/shadow. I will paste in here the *updated* tutorials notes.

Well... I guess the zip file is too big to attach so here's the link for the tutorial on the paperthreads site http://www.paperthreads.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3 I had to join to get to it.

Here's the updated portion

I can try and post some guidelines/help here. First of all in step 9/10/11 of the Connected word with clipart and mat in Inkscape ("Love Notes") I do it a different way...the tutorial has you MAKE A BITMAP COPY. This was the best way in the older version of inkscape, but if you have version 0.45 (which has been the stable version for awhile now) you can do this in a simpler way. Insert the "note" in the same way as instructed, note that this is already an svg so it already has nodes/vector paths. Next I type the letters and arrange them according to the tutorial. Now, instead of MAKE A BITMAP COPY, I select all the letters and go to PATH>OBJECT TO PATH. This will change all the letters into nodes/vectors. There is no need to make a bitmap copy anymore, inkscape 0.45 does it itself (it's been aouto built in too when you go to PATH>TRACE BITMAP.)
Now, all the letters and the note will be individual this way, not welded to gether, so ou select them all and then go to PATH>UNION to weld the elements. Now you can skip all the way to step 20 which is "Making the Mat"