Installing Inkscape

General discussion about Inkscape
Lauram312000

Installing Inkscape

Post by Lauram312000 »

So I finally decided I want to try Inkscape after YEARS of agonizing and investigating...and being jealous of others' capabilities. And now...I can't even install it. I'm on a Mac, OSX, version 10.5.8. EVERY time I try...it crashes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I feel like a real dummy...and it makes me wonder if I should just forget using inkscape. Oy!
Louise-Paisley

Re: Installing Inkscape

Post by Louise-Paisley »

are you installing the correct version for your os
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Lauram312000

Post by Lauram312000 »

Hey there, I appreciate your help! I'm installing version .48.1-1-Leopard+dmg...I *think* that's the right one??? So complicated!!
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Lauram312000 wrote:Hey there, I appreciate your help! I'm installing version .48.1-1-Leopard+dmg...I *think* that's the right one??? So complicated!!
yes I am pretty sure it is..

Sometimes when the install goes wrong it leaves bits in the system, if you have an uninstaller program such as the free Appcleaner http://lifehacker.com/5828738/the-best- ... er-for-mac it may be worth uninstalling with that, restart the computer and download the program again.

I cannot help much more as I have never used a mac in my life, but that is the advice usually given on blackcatforumuk with install problems.
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

This may be of help, you may understand more of it than me..

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... g_on_a_Mac
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

For what it is worth..

If you get it working Inkscape does have quite a steep learning curve, but once it starts to fall into place it is without a doubt the most amazing software.

I use inkscape 99% of the time and it is absolutely brilliant, quite unbelievable that such a great editor is actually completely free!
papasue

Post by papasue »

Lauram312000 wrote:Hey there, I appreciate your help! I'm installing version .48.1-1-Leopard+dmg...I *think* that's the right one??? So complicated!!
Hi, somewhere in the fine print you will see that you need a FREE program called X-11 installed on your Mac for Inkscape to run.

Here's one link I found where you can download it. Google x-11 Inkscape for more info.

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... 810.5.x.29

Hope to see you up and running soon,!
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Lauram312000

Post by Lauram312000 »

Thanks y'all have been so helpful...I've tried several times...and I'll uninstall and start again. :(

Wish me luck!!!