open type fonts not accessible

Share your favorite fonts to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
Beth from NJ

Post by Beth from NJ »

Hi, I recently purchased a font with lots of fancy open type variants. When I downloaded it in SCAL3, I was disappointed not to be able to see any of those variants-just the basic font. I contacted Craft Edge, who said it might solve the problem if I update to SCAL4, as that has a more extensive character map. But I did see a post saying SCAL doesn't support all those open type variants. Any one else run into this? I paid $50 for the font, and would rather not pay to update SCAL if not necessary. Thanks!
papasue

Re: open type fonts not accessible

Post by papasue »

BETH, did you install the font on your computer or just access it through scal3? what OS do you use Mac or win?

what is the name of the font?
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Beth from NJ

Post by Beth from NJ »

Hi,
I did install it. I'm using Windows 7.
Beth from NJ

Post by Beth from NJ »

Oh, I should've said, the font is Dream Script Pro. Any one else try to use open font variants in SCAL?
Beth from NJ

Post by Beth from NJ »

Just wanted to give an update. I downloaded SCAL4 per Craftedge's advice. That didn't help at all! Maybe some fonts have fancy glyphs that can be accessed in SCAL4, but not Dream Script Pro! So I was out another $50, and still couldn't use the font! Finally, I downloaded a trial version of Adobe InDesign. It worked fine in there, so I designed my quote, and used the Scan to Cut feature to cut it with SCAL. That was cumbersome and time-consuming, and still wasn't a very great quality cut. I don't think I'll try it again. So, I'm stuck with SCAL Pro 4, and won't use it for anything. . .
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Here is a free program that will display all of the characters. You can then pick one and click on Copy and then paste that character into SCAL (select the font first in SCAL). I tested it out and it worked just fine for me.

http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
Beth from NJ

Post by Beth from NJ »

Thanks, I will try it out!
BRichardson

Post by BRichardson »

SandyMcC wrote:Here is a free program that will display all of the characters. You can then pick one and click on Copy and then paste that character into SCAL (select the font first in SCAL). I tested it out and it worked just fine for me.

http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html
Not all OTF fonts are PUA mapped. If they are not - you will not be able to use Character Map or BabelMap to paste in the characters.

More and more fonts are now mapped, but not all. If they are not mapped, you will have to use Illustrator, InDesign, or Corel Draw to access the alternate characters.
Windows 7 Silhouette Cameo SCAL3 3.046
Beth from NJ

Post by Beth from NJ »

Ok, thanks for your help!
Edwardfab

Post by Edwardfab »

Our rip wont accept the postcript font version of AdvPNET. It only takes true type fonts I know, dont get me started. Is there a true type version available?

Thanks,
Earle