help for a glass block project

Share your favorite fonts to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
Sandra0655

help for a glass block project

Post by Sandra0655 »

I have seen all sorts of cute night lights made with monograms on them. some of them have color on the inside,
can someone tell me how to get the "glazed" look, on the inside. I was thinking I had read that you water down paint and swirl
inside. I have tried this and it is not working for me. I am looking for the instructions on the proper way to do this?
Thanks!
ptpulley

Re: help for a glass block project

Post by ptpulley »

I have no idea how you do that myself, but I have found that you can see videos for doing almost anything on youtube. I would suggest you go there and search for 'glass block' and I bet you'll get some great ideas.
I use a BabyBug, SCAL2.
Please use my files for personal use only.
newbiecat

Post by newbiecat »

Morning

I have seen several video projects on this on youtube - very upset that the blocks themselves do not seem to be available in the UK which is a great shame

However there seem to be two types - some with clear glass (window like) and some that have a ripple or swirl effect as part of the manufacturing process. I did discover a make call KraftyBlok however they do not have a UK distributor at this time.

The other way to get a great frosted effect is to use an etching cream over a pattern on the block before adhering text

if anyone knows where to get something similar in the UK I would appreciate a link or website address

Win7, SCAL3.044, Silver Bullet 18" Craft Artist Pro, Photoshop,
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

i have done etching cream with better results than the spray paint that comes in a frosted glass look. The paint will scrape off too easy. Remember that the etching cream can be used again so when you scrape it off, put it back in the bottle. You will need to use a good bit also and let it sit for 30 min to give a good effect. I have let it sit for longer due to the heaviness of the block.
I was buying the blocks at Lowes but they stopped carrying them except for special order so i began using a coupon to get at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
I liked the ripple/swirl effect that newbiecat was referring to also.
Hope this helps.
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro