Sure Cuts a Lot 3.0 for Windows & Macintosh

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Re: Sure Cuts a Lot 3.0 for Windows & Macintosh

Post by sstehman »

Yep you got it right....and no need to buy cartridges.
Sandy in PA
cmsmith64

Post by cmsmith64 »

I have SCAL3 installed (Version 3.007)...is there a newer update to this. And can anyone tell me how to cut using the Silhouette Cameo ... when I try to cut using SCAL3 and the Silhouette Cameo, it cannot locate the Silhouette (usb) ... and Craftedge support is telling me that it would've been installed when I installed the Silhouette Studio software...if so, why does the Silhouette not be located on SCAL3. I would use SCAL3 now instead of loading the project in SCAL2 or 3, write down the sizes of the pieces and than go to Silhouette Studio Designing and changing the sizing there (doesn't come up same when I merge the svg file!). Any help would be appreciated.

Carolyn

http://www.grandmacarol46580.blogspot.com

I upgraded to the newest version of SCAL3...and WORKS
Last edited by cmsmith64 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I have 3.024 saved...so there may be even something more recent for you, by downloading. It can't hurt to click and see what it does. Also, under 'cutter' at the top, and then 'my cutter', do you have your machine checked there? That is all I can think of.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
cmsmith64

Post by cmsmith64 »

I'm going to vent ... and just may-be someone has an answer for. I have SCAL2 and SCAL3 and use SCAL3 b/c I have a Silhouette Cameo which is compatible with SCAL3. I really like SCAL3 BUT I do not like going in to change the cutter from SD to Cameo everytime I load up the software program. I DO NOT like having to select layers so I can have the box showing layers. Why the change from SCAL2 where it was there when you loaded the program, plus Cricut always showed up as my cutting machine. I had to seek help from support just so I can have the virtual mat come up full size ALL the TIME. And b/4 I demanded a full size mat to come up, Cameo ALWAYs showed up ...NOW ...NOT. WHY

If any one has an answer or solution, please let me know.

Carolyn
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

I just wrote to them about that issue with the Cameo, but I don't think I made myself clear. It drives me crazy. Is there a new update?
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

cmsmith64 wrote:I'm going to vent ... and just may-be someone has an answer for. I have SCAL2 and SCAL3 and use SCAL3 b/c I have a Silhouette Cameo which is compatible with SCAL3. I really like SCAL3 BUT I do not like going in to change the cutter from SD to Cameo everytime I load up the software program. I DO NOT like having to select layers so I can have the box showing layers. Why the change from SCAL2 where it was there when you loaded the program, plus Cricut always showed up as my cutting machine. I had to seek help from support just so I can have the virtual mat come up full size ALL the TIME. And b/4 I demanded a full size mat to come up, Cameo ALWAYs showed up ...NOW ...NOT. WHY

Carolyn
The answer is to contact craft edge support, point out the bug to them and ask them to fix it. if these things are not brought to their attention then they will not fix it because they are likely unaware of it!

As for V3 vs V2..

As I think we are all aware Craft edge were forced to stop the software working with a particular cutter series, the legal eagles for whatever reason I cannot fathom decided that these greedy pigs had the right to stop someone producing software that worked with their machines and so Craft Edge was forced to create a new version of the software.

As with all software there are problems and bugs that crop up which are unavoidable, long gone are the days where a programmer know every single byte of a computers operating system, these days it is a vastly complex minefield they have to navigate and mistakes are made, pointed out and fixed.

Personally, I think Craft Edge support is extremely good, they normally respond to bug reports very quickly and very often fix them in a very short space of time and provide an update which I can assure you is a very great improvement on many smaller software vendors - I paid close on $150 for software for my business to find that it was almost (but not quite) useless to me due to a bug and it took them over 4 months to fix it!

If you have not contacted Craft Edge support about your problems then it is likely you are just one of many people who have not contacted them and you are all sat waiting for someone else to take the initiative.. Break the cycle and send the email ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
cmsmith64

Post by cmsmith64 »

I had contacted Craftedge about one problem and they fixed it with sending me a new version (it was the virtual mat...they corrected it in the new version) but the new version now does not load up the software with the option of selecting the cutter and making it permanent in it, and when I load up SCAL3, I have to go in and click on the cutter name again and if I don't shut down the software or computer, it will stay with Cameo .... And the layers option...have to go in and select that every time I load up the software program...in SCAL2 it was always sitting on the right side like always but in the programing with SCAL3 it does not do that. Frustrating. And where are the 'checkers' for debugging programs b/4 releasing the new version. Just like Microsoft...let's get the software out on the market w/out checking for errors...and than customers become very upset b/c of the errors and bugs...that should've been caught b/4 releasing onto the market.

Anyhow, I will write Craftedge again and explain. They're usually pretty good about helping you out. Now SilhoutteAmerica for their software..that's another story!! Hopefully with the new surprise release of Silhouette Studio Designing software, I will have that problem correct!!

Carolyn
Louise-Paisley wrote:
cmsmith64 wrote:I'm going to vent ... and just may-be someone has an answer for. I have SCAL2 and SCAL3 and use SCAL3 b/c I have a Silhouette Cameo which is compatible with SCAL3. I really like SCAL3 BUT I do not like going in to change the cutter from SD to Cameo everytime I load up the software program. I DO NOT like having to select layers so I can have the box showing layers. Why the change from SCAL2 where it was there when you loaded the program, plus Cricut always showed up as my cutting machine. I had to seek help from support just so I can have the virtual mat come up full size ALL the TIME. And b/4 I demanded a full size mat to come up, Cameo ALWAYs showed up ...NOW ...NOT. WHY

Carolyn
The answer is to contact craft edge support, point out the bug to them and ask them to fix it. if these things are not brought to their attention then they will not fix it because they are likely unaware of it!

As for V3 vs V2..

As I think we are all aware Craft edge were forced to stop the software working with a particular cutter series, the legal eagles for whatever reason I cannot fathom decided that these greedy pigs had the right to stop someone producing software that worked with their machines and so Craft Edge was forced to create a new version of the software.

As with all software there are problems and bugs that crop up which are unavoidable, long gone are the days where a programmer know every single byte of a computers operating system, these days it is a vastly complex minefield they have to navigate and mistakes are made, pointed out and fixed.

Personally, I think Craft Edge support is extremely good, they normally respond to bug reports very quickly and very often fix them in a very short space of time and provide an update which I can assure you is a very great improvement on many smaller software vendors - I paid close on $150 for software for my business to find that it was almost (but not quite) useless to me due to a bug and it took them over 4 months to fix it!

If you have not contacted Craft Edge support about your problems then it is likely you are just one of many people who have not contacted them and you are all sat waiting for someone else to take the initiative.. Break the cycle and send the email ;)
worthart

Post by worthart »

I just installed the latest v3 and now it crashes every time I try to import a PDF and I get a message about a runtime error. What to do? I did send in a report but that might take days to get a response.

Donna in Montana
Tazz_4

Post by Tazz_4 »

Nice post!
kellybryant

Post by kellybryant »

Another question, will SCAL 3 support the Cricuit Expression?