Combining two seperate svg files

Share your SVG files for importing into Sure Cuts A Lot
GrammyKrausse

Combining two seperate svg files

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I am in the process of building a Car. I was loosing some information in the new inkscape so I saved svg files in seperate folders. I now want to combine two seperate graphics/svg files. I can open the svg files and copy and paste them together, but they are not together/combined. I haved tried the group and it looks good til I save it and it saves it as different svg files in different parts of the mat Does anyone know how to do this?
Grammy :?:
AnointedHands

Re: Combining two seperate svg files

Post by AnointedHands »

First, I don't understand "Loosing some information." You should not be loosing any information.

Second, when you want to combine files, you should open the first file, then use File>Import to get the second file in the first. I find that I have to paste twice when I try the copy/paste.

I would then File>SAVE AS so you have a totally separate doc in case you have to start over from scratch all the original files are still intact.

I am not sure why you are trying to combine the elements together and definitely don't use Group. I worked on a file and there were elements that were touching so I selected both elements and did a Path>Union which make two elements one. After I did this, the elements stopped moving across the page (don't know why that was happening but Union stopped it).

If you post, maybe I can analyze. I am not an expert at Inkscape but I am understanding it a little better.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

Hello again:
On loosing information. What I mean is the new inkscape freezes and closes on my computer.
Don't know if it's my vista or not. I have been saving it in another folder and that's where I would get into trouble. After my Inkscape would close unexpectadly. When I would open it back up and try to finish my svg file I couldn't for instance paste the window in the car. It looked good when I would combine and save it but when you open it in scal the window just wasn't where it was supposed to. It would be off to the side of the car. I did figure out that if I copied the car as a bitmap and go through all the steps again I had a clear clean image and I could paste the window then. I'll keep your info and if I run into it again I'll try it.
Thank you for the information
Grammy :lol:
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

Sorry you are having that problem with Inkscape. Some other MB members were having problems with the new version freezing up. I am still using XP. I refuse to convert to Vista until I ABSOLUTELY have to.

Is the old version still available? If so, you might have to uninstall the newer version and go back to the older one.

SAVE OFTEN. I can't reiterate that enough. As soon as you have completed a step, just click on the save icon. That way, when your computer shuts down, you have the last thing you did right.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...