SVG is Invalid. Validate before opening.

Share your SVG files for importing into Sure Cuts A Lot
talanhart

SVG is Invalid. Validate before opening.

Post by talanhart »

I am trying to open some of my SVG files that I have saved to an external drive. I keep getting this message, "This SVG is invalid. Validate before opening". I have no idea what this means. I am trying to open them with Illustrator on my Mac. I haven't tried on my PC at home or with SCAL. Here is one of the files. Will somebody check and see if they can still open this in Ink or SCAL. Thanks.
Attachments
heartrose.svg
(17.15 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Todd
papasue

Re: SVG is Invalid. Validate before opening.

Post by papasue »

Hi Todd, I have tried opening it in Inkscape 0.48 with the same result. I tried changing the file extension to png and jpg thinking it might have been saved incorrectly in Inkscape. I tried importing to eCAL....still nada.

So it is not you not know how, something is wrong with the file and your Mac (and my Mac) I did have some problems with Inkscape when I upgraded to Mountain Lion...but not this specific problem. Mac Mountain (Apple) does "flag" files downloaded from the internet from non-known source and requests that you validate it. I didn't get that message on my Mac.
So it is not just Illustrator, doesn't work in inksape either.

Keep us posted on your progress and I'll keep poking around with it.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

I just tried (have macbook with snow leopard) and it says the file has errors and won't open.
it looks like either been saved it as a non standard svg or it's been corrupted somehow.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
papasue

Post by papasue »

I have a program called TextWrangler that allows for looking at the code of the flle.

I opened the heartrose in it and there is alot of information that I don't really understand but this first para tells you about the original. It was created in Illustrator. Note there are some links in there that may lead you to the original.
Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 12.20.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 12.20.34 PM.png (102.57 KiB) Viewed 9999 times
Susan E

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I was able to open a file in Safari and as you can see, there are parts missing. All the SVG files that have this Pink top will not open. I just deleted about 300 files from my USB Stick.
Attachments
grabb1.tiff
grabb1.tiff (68.11 KiB) Viewed 9997 times
Todd
papasue

Post by papasue »

I was just thinking that the original is just too OLD and the software has moved way beyond a file downloaded/created in 2001. Too bad to lose all those files. I guess it is a good idea to keep a jpg/png of all those files you love.

Thanks for the info!
Susan E

eClips2.
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I do have a backup of most of the files on another USB stick. Somehow, moving them around corrupted this batch.
Todd
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I don't think a jpg or svg or illustrator file can be too old. They are universal types of files, so I believe that the files became corrupt somehow. Did you try opening the original ones?