Important Announcement: SCAL 1 and 2

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
cropmom66

Re: Important Announcement: SCAL 1 and 2

Post by cropmom66 »

Keknl wrote:I have been using SCAL2 with my Cricut Personal Cutter. I also am using the new Cricut Craft Room, which is now requiring that I update the firmware on my Cricut. If I do this, will it block SCAL2? Does anyone know? Ugh!
I am wondering this too. I just got an email from ScrappingTable.com -

Know your Cricut's firmware.

The new Cricut CraftRoom software program is getting a lot of attention but there is one thing you must know if you want to continue using your SCAL software with your Personal Cutter, Create, Expression, Cake or Cake Mini.

The Cricut CraftRoom requires a firmware update that is not supported by SCAL. In other words...

...if you update your Cricut's firmware with the Cricut CraftRoom software, you may no longer be able to use it with SCAL.

Below, I am showing the pop-up window that immediately appears when you start Cricut CraftRoom and have the Cricut connected and powered-on.

As you can see, it has detected the Cricut's firmware and is advising that I must update to be compatible with the Cricut CraftRoom. What this actually means is that you can explore and play with the Cricut CraftRoom but you cannot cut anything from it unless you update your Cricut's firmware.

Rest assured...you are in control.

You are the only person who can change the firmware on your Cricut Personal Cutter, Create, Expression, Cake or Cake Mini. This can only be done by deliberately using the update firmware feature in the older Cricut Design Studio or the new Cricut CraftRoom software programs.

If you're happily using SCAL then there is no need to update your Cricut firmware beyond the versions listed below. Keep in mind these are the highest supported firmware version numbers. If yours is a little less, don't worry.
Personal Cutter: 1.34
Create: 1.54
Cake Mini: 1.54
Expression: 2.35
Cake: 2.35
To check your Cricut firmware, just turn it on and watch the display. Depending on the model, you will see something like v.1.3 or v. 1.54 or v.2.3 or v.2.34, etc.

Recommendation

If you want to explore the new Cricut CraftRoom, I suggest that you unplug the USB cable from your Cricut. This is better than just having the machine turned-off and it will absolutely prevent you from accidentally changing its firmware. The pop-up window appears quickly and, in a surprised moment, you could click the wrong button.

It's just too bad that they couldn't work together. I love the flexibility of SCAL, but the CraftRoom is nice for using the cartridges.
beeshive

Post by beeshive »

excellent suggestion and I agree it is a pity that PC couldn't see the benefit of working with 3rd party software.
char-lee

Post by char-lee »

Dang Folks!!! I am total newbie (only 2 weeks) and from reading the posts it looks like I missed the boat on SCAL2. I am cake decorator and want to cut svg's from rice paper a.k.a. wafer paper. I have a red cutting machine just freeloading on my kitchen counter and am reading I can not use new SCAL3. IF I should find a copy of SCAL v2 like on ebay...WILL it still work on my machine? I really don't have space for another cutter that works with v3. Please someone tell me.
Thanks in advance.
Keknl

Post by Keknl »

I think you can still get an update if you have SCAL1.
liverpoolhuni

Post by liverpoolhuni »

Hi, i did email last week as i had my laptop stolen and kept my number on there, thankfully i backed up the program, just not my subscription, can you help me get my number back?

Thanks, lx
papasue

Post by papasue »

Contact CraftEdge directly, they will help you :)

http://craftedge.com/support/support.html
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
wwid3

Post by wwid3 »

I have my serial# for SCAL2 but how can I download the program now onto another computer? :?
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Go to this link for the activation site.

http://www.craftedge.com/activation/sur ... tivate.php
Sandy in PA
wwid3

Post by wwid3 »

I went to the website and added my name and serial # but it is requesting an activation code. Apparantly I can't download SCAL2 anymore. Is that correct? Will I have to manually carry my computer to a repair shop and have them save the program for me on a disc?
Jayne

Post by Jayne »

I am not sure what sll this means, are you saying if we have a problem with Scal 1 and 2 then no-one will help us, which seems totally unfair as i have purchased it, so if there is no support do we get our money back? or is this only to do with the new cricut craftroom?