Plastic Blade Housing

General discussion about scrapbooking
pated43

Plastic Blade Housing

Post by pated43 »

I was just wondering if all the Cricut Expressions are made with plastic blade housing. I have a baby bug and that one has a metal blade housing, but I got my new expression yesterday and the blade housing is plastic.

Do you think that Provocraft is now making the blade housings plastic because its cheaper for them but they are selling theses machines for the same price? I noticed from the DVD included that the blade housing there is metal.

Judy
DonnaL

Re: Plastic Blade Housing

Post by DonnaL »

Very odd... does sound like they are getting 'cheaper'; could this possibly be a 'made for 'Walmart' model or is this their new 'standard' version?? I wonder if it would be 'just as good'.
Donna
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I just got mine yesterday too, and it also had a plastic blade housing. I saw that and thought???? I think it was in the regular box.
pated43

Post by pated43 »

Donna, if only I bought it in Walmart then I would think so, but I didn't. I am guessing its the new standard.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Mine was bought at Walmart and the housing blade is metal.. Wondering if they are selling clones out there but in a cheaper version... I would email provocraft on this...
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I remember when Provo Craft came out with the software for the Cricut and I kept getting emails for the pre order of it, at that time they said it was held up in China. So I googled and all the machines, software and and carts are made in China. Could be some regulations there caused the new plastic housing for the blade to come into view. I looked at the deep cut housing at WalMart and it looks like metal through the package, does anyone know.
Grammy :shock:
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I would think it is more likely to be about the cost. I just can't believe they would cut corners like that on a machine with a $400 list price (though I actually do believe it, my experience with their blades hasn't been fabulous).
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I know on my Bernina embroydry machine there is a metal set screw that tightens the hoop that when in operation vibrates continuously much like the blade housing on the Cricut. after x amount of tightening the metal set screw into a plastic housing it has to be replaced, It's just the nature of the beast. Anything plastic that has a tension on it will eventually give trouble. Plastic and metal really doesn't like each other. Sure hope the replacement housings aren't as expensive as the deep cut housing they have at WalMart. It runs 30.00.

;) Sure am glade I didn't pay 400 dollars for my expresion, although I did pay 250 for my Cricut when they first got them in Michaels in 2006
pated43

Post by pated43 »

What's wrong with these women on the Cricut group? They all think its ok for Provocraft to change the blade housing to plastic without informing the customers. They see no problem with it!

They are all maybe its because of cost and they don't want us to pay more, maybe its better, maybe, maybe. One suggested I go buy a metal housing to replace the new one I got in my machine 3 day ago! What's wrong with the company telling us up front that they have changed their product? Don't we deserve to know that?

In this economy where for my this was a luxury buy and I had to save my pennies to buy it, I would have loved to have been informed that they were making this change.

Judy
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Grammy the housings here in Canada are 40 bucks.. lol..
As for your response Judy I think the way they look at it is the customer does have the option of purchasing or not purchasing. so if the customer is desperate enough they will buy. I personally think it is all about cutting corners.. They make something for less and sell it for either the same price or more.. I guess it's not about quality. It's the same with in the food industry... Make the recipe with a cheaper product but charge the same price..