.pdf to .svg?

General discussion about scrapbooking
Shelley

.pdf to .svg?

Post by Shelley »

If I have a .pdf with lots of different images, how do I just pick and choose which ones to trace and convert to .svg in inkscape?
..."you had the power all along"...
from The Wizard of Oz

HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: .pdf to .svg?

Post by HeatherM »

You don't need to trace it if it is already a vector. I put a tutorial about using Inkscape to save PDF's as SVG on my blog here. If it isn't vector images you will need to either trace it or use the paint bucket tool. HTH
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

can you tell by looking at it if it's a vector?
..."you had the power all along"...
from The Wizard of Oz

HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

If you zoom in you might be able to tell. If the lines are smooth it is probably a vector. If they are rough or have squared then it probably isn't. You could save it and import it into Ink to see, since you would need Ink (or something) either way.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

after you either import or open the pdf in inkscape you can use the View outline and if there is not a big red x and is your graphic showing it is a vector. Not all pdf files will work, they are not made correctly. Wish I knew how to make them. Have Adobe and several graphics programs but have not been able to figure out how to make them.
Grammy
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Wow, Heather, never saw that control-click shortcut before. This is way easier than the way I have been doing it. Thanks!!!