Use Cricut Artwork in SCAL - NOT A HACK OR TRACE

General discussion about scrapbooking
scrappy pumpkin

Re: Use Cricut Artwork in SCAL - NOT A HACK OR TRACE

Post by scrappy pumpkin »

I do fine with SCAl, but I need more time and practice with inkscape. Would you mind sharing your directions for using the original Cricut handbook pictures, perhaps with a little more details? I'm a little unsure of what the node selector is or its location and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add a stroke color. I would really appreciate any further "dummy" instructions for myself and any other beginners. Thanks so much!!
Cathy
butrcup1221

Post by butrcup1221 »

No problem. I will start putting it together and get it up asap. I'm rather swamped so be patient with me :)
ssummers

Post by ssummers »

I have tried to import a PDF, but when I click on the PDF file to import, my Inkscape says it is not responding.
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Try opening and not importing.
Todd
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

You get the same dialog box with open and import. What other programs do you have open? I find that my older laptop doesn't handle multiple Inkscape and Photoshop files very well and will run out of resources if I try doing too many things at once. HTH
ssummers

Post by ssummers »

I got it to work, just had to be patient. Thanks for the help.
auntdooz

Post by auntdooz »

I am a very confused newbie. I would love to be able to use the handbooks in the link to create some pictures, my problem is that when I dowloaded the pdf. file and try to import it into inkscape I only get a white page. I did get it to work one time but the picture was VERY small, when I tried to make the pic. larger they became very pixelee and square looking. I am sorry in advance for not understanding but I would love any help that anyone could send my way. I am about ready to give up on inkscape, the only thing that has kept me interested is the AWESOME things I have seen created and posted on the site.

Thanks
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

Depending on the size of the pdf makes a difference on how long it takes it to open in Inkscape. From a few seconds to several seconds There will be a pop up window that says pdf import settings which sometimes has multi pages. Choose the opage you want to open in inkscape and hit ok. This will cause the pdf file to come up on your screen. If the pdf was created properly you will be abe to ungroup it,first select the graphic and please note the the message at the bottom of the screen (in the middle) on how many groups there are to be ungrouped.
If there is no info on groups at the bottom middle of screen I don't think it is a good pdf

Oh yes even if it is a small graphic all you have to do is select it and hold the ctrl key and pull on the corner arrows and it will expand the graphic without destorting it
Grammy
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

auntdooz wrote:I am a very confused newbie. I would love to be able to use the handbooks in the link to create some pictures, my problem is that when I dowloaded the pdf. file and try to import it into inkscape I only get a white page. I did get it to work one time but the picture was VERY small, when I tried to make the pic. larger they became very pixelee and square looking.
If you have a file that opens very small in Inkscape, you can press the 4 on your keyboard and it will zoom to fit the image to the window. If you have a vector, it shouldn't look pixelly. You might have a scan rather than one of the original handbooks. HTH
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

I'm having trouble making this work.
When I follow the Butrcup's directions, I am able to open a page of the pdf in inkscape, select the nodes I want, copy, paste, save as SVG. It looks fine in Inkscape, but when I import it into SCAL, some parts are missing; or the image is upside down; or all the images are right on top of each other in the upper left hand corner and are about 1/4 inch big.
I'll try to attach pics to show what I mean.
Attachments
Here's what it looks like in Inkscape.
Here's what it looks like in Inkscape.
InkscapeTurkey.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 6026 times