Heavy Cards

General discussion about scrapbooking
cbrown

Heavy Cards

Post by cbrown »

When making layered cards, do you find the front is heavier than the back? What do you do? I recently made party invites in the shape of teapots. The front of the card had a single layer of the teapot front on it. I found it it be heavy with the hinge. The hinge was at the top of the pot. Should I have made the hinge on the bottom? I need to make thank you notes and would like to use a shaped card also. I'm thinking of making a cup where the part for the note comes out between two cups with a string and mini tag attached. As I was typing, I think I will make the note part a teabag. But for the future, how should I handle the "heavy card front" problem?
Candace

currently using SCAL2, but have SCAL3
I have an Expression and a Gazelle
On a laptop with XP Professional
newbiecat

Re: Heavy Cards

Post by newbiecat »

To be honest i don't worry about it too much - though if i want to be sure a card will stand up - I use foam pads to create a gap between the base card front and the embellisment to create a small rest between the two layers (this only works if the embellisment matches the bottom edge of the card)

Sure someone else will be along with a brighter idea soon
Pandora :)
Win7, SCAL3.044, Silver Bullet 18" Craft Artist Pro, Photoshop,
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I sometimes put a sentiment inside on another piece of cardstock, or 2, and that evens the weight of the front and the back. Make a sentiment and print and cut and give that a mat behind it and then glue inside the card.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

do you use the same weight card for the topper(s) as you do the card base?

I use 200gsm-300gsm+ for bases but I use 170gam - 200gsm for toppers.
if I'm gluing a sheet over the card base to cover it (lucky that my printer can handle 400gsm but) I would go 160gsm or lower for that.

it all helps to keep the weight down on the front of the card.

but then I don't normally make "built up" cards, mine are all relatively flat, even with layers.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
cbrown

Post by cbrown »

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try layering the sentiments on the inside. I use regular cardstock from the craft store. I do find that some sheets are thicker than others. I am on the search for heavier cardstock for the base card. I guess I'll have to search online to find that heavier stock.
Candace

currently using SCAL2, but have SCAL3
I have an Expression and a Gazelle
On a laptop with XP Professional
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I use to buy 8.5 x 11 from Desktop Publishing Supplies...I believe it was called. They have someone to help on the phone as I recall, and a variety of weights for the cardstocks.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

depending on where you live, try places like ryman or staples - or just a local stationery shop. see what they have.

most carry 200gsm and some will go up to 300gsm - that is plenty heavy for a card base.
the toppers can then be anything from 160 to 200gsm (160 is on the border of paper/card, I tend to think of it as paper. 170gsm is card LOL)

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave