Changing to a Mac

General discussion about scrapbooking
lottie

Changing to a Mac

Post by lottie »

Has anyone changed recently from a PC with Windows to a Mac computer? Am looking at changing but panic that as I use Publisher for everything I do will ose all my hard work?
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Re: Changing to a Mac

Post by jasenj1 »

lottie wrote:Has anyone changed recently from a PC with Windows to a Mac computer? Am looking at changing but panic that as I use Publisher for everything I do will ose all my hard work?
A Mac can run Windows. If you have a Windows install disc, you can use Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or the free Virtual Box.

If you use Publisher "for everything", why are you switching? Have you identified a program on the Mac side to take Publisher's place? You could run one of the above in "unified mode" and Publisher would work just like another app on the Mac.

I'm a longtime Mac user, and love them. But Windows gets work done, too, and I've known a few (very few ;) ) people who have taken Macs back because they could not get the hang of it.

- Jasen.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

Your best bet would be to do as Jasen said and have the Windows OS running on your mac. It changes with a click of a key. However, if you decide to get rid of your PC and use Mac only, there is no way to transfer Publisher files into any other program (either on a mac or on a pc). You would have to recreate your files on your Mac, which has its own type of publishing programs.
lottie

Post by lottie »

Thanks for that. Seems I should stick with a PC and windows - means when I do upgrade will have to buy the latest version of Publisher - I gather. That costs and arm and leg as well! Interesting when you go to the computer store and see the price then there are all the necessary add ons!