Question, how careful do you have to be re acid free?

General discussion about scrapbooking
Marly

Question, how careful do you have to be re acid free?

Post by Marly »

I'm wondering about this because of the inability to find chipboard in my area. I am not planning to make scrapbooks that will be preserved for centuries or anything. I just want to make little gifts of memory books for friends and family that won't disintegrate or anything like that! :shock:

I have been trying to use acid free everything because that's what I've read you should do. But for something like Wordbooks, I have been using firm cardboard and use acid free glue and acid free CS to cover both sides of the cardboard. Would this provide protection from the acidic cardboard? Is it enough? Or will all my work self-destruct like a time-bomb regardless of the preventive steps I take?

I am planning to make a lot of mini word books and print pics from my digi pics in the wallet size to put in the books. That should keep the cost down somewhat. I'm all about cost savings but also want to be careful that my work is protected at least for a short time.

Any thoughts from y'all?
scraphappysue

Re: Question, how careful do you have to be re acid free?

Post by scraphappysue »

I mostly use Mementos Chipboard that comes in a 12-piece Value Pack by Pixie Press. I bought mine at Pat Catan's, but you might be able to find it online. It is Acid Free/Lignin Free...can't remember what I paid for it...seems like it was around $4.
Suzy
wreed06

Re: Question, how careful do you have to be re acid free?

Post by wreed06 »

If you cover the cardboard with acid free paper, I'm going on a limb to suggest you'll be fine. Since the memento book is not an heirloom or for priceless pictures, I think you'll be fine, especially if digital copies are available. Remember those magnetic albums? They are a good example of what non-acid free products can do to pictures. Perhaps you can use that as a guide - how long did it take before pages started turning brown - 5 - 10 years? Likely someone will want to switch pictures with fresh ones, or, heaven forbid, use a different frame 5 to 10 years from now.